Is 27" iMac too big for my table

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sodium Chloride, May 10, 2019.

1. Sodium Chloride macrumors regular

My table’s dimension is 47” x 30”. Is 27” iMac too big for my table?

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

That sounds big enough for a few 27" iMacs.

You should have plenty of room.

3. jerwin, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

Is the 47" width or depth?

My desk is 30 inches deep and 62 inches wide, and sometimes that's not wide enough. Depth is adequate.

However, that includes 2 bookshelf speakers (5 inch woofers) , an extended keyboard, mouse, a large scanner, and an additional monitor. And my desk is extremely messy.

4. Sodium Chloride thread starter macrumors regular

It’s 47" width, 30" depth. So, the viewing distance would be 30" - whatever amount of the iMac takes while pushing it all the way to the back. My table has nothing on it other than a reading lamp.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

As long as it doesn't get in the way of other things, it'll be fine. Speaking from experience, that viewing distance is reasonable for a 27" display. I currently have a 24" display at something like a 20" viewing distance, and that is also comfortable. If you're still concerned you won't like it, put the reading lamp where you would like it to go and measure the available remaining space. This will give you a far better idea of how you'll like the setup than you would be able to get from further opinions on here. Another option would be to purchase from a place where you can return without a restocking fee on the off chance that you dislike it.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

That's perfectly fine. My desk is about 50" wide and I have three 24" screens mounted side by side on a triple monitor stand. If you want to leave desk space open. Consider a BTO iMac with the VESA adapter kit installed. Then bolt a stand to your desk. A tall stand leaves your desk open for other items underneath. Plus you can have your screen at eye level.

7. Sodium Chloride thread starter macrumors regular

Does Apple Store accept return without a restocking fee?

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I have two 24" monitors side by side from less than 20" away, so I am sure that 30" for one 27" display would be more than adequate.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

14 days with original accessories and packaging. Even on BTO macs. It is generally recommended to get an iMac built to order. As the included is quite slow. Getting an SSD is generally preferable. Upgrade the RAM yourself on 27" models but upgrade the 21.5" models to 16GB through Apple.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yes. Third party retailers vary. It may be expensive for retailers to accept returns on items like this, so it isn't particularly surprising. Parts of this come down to personal taste, so if you haven't used such a setup before, it would be a good idea to pick one with a forgiving return policy. Make sure to unbox the machine right away so you can spend some time getting used to the setup within the return window.

11. MacDaddyPanda macrumors regular

MacDaddyPanda

12. jerwin macrumors 68020

You should be okay. The imac isn't particularly deep.

https://www.dimensions.guide/element/apple-imac-27-inch

13. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Once you have the 27" iMac unboxed, set up and running, you will change your opinion to, "I DON'T CARE what size the table is -- this looks great!"

14. madamelulu macrumors member

What is BTO?

15. jerwin macrumors 68020

built to order-- any mac that is ordered with changes to its default configuration.