is 2gb on 4g enough for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Paulshaqz, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

this will be my first 4g device and i'm used to being on the unlimited data since i have it for att on the iPhone but i made the switch for verizon for the iPad anyways i'm curious to know how many websites browse videos send emails all that kinda stuff will last a whole month with a 2gb data plan?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. kidnice15 macrumors member

You are going to go use that 2GB really fast. I am just being honest. I have a 4G unlimited data plan for Verizon and I can go easily do 10 to 15GB a month.

4. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

According to a new article on CNET, you will use up 2gb in 1 hour of streaming hd content. Good luck streaming an entire movie in hd.

5. jbimler macrumors regular

Data plans are ridiculous. I wish the majority of people refused to pay at those rates so companies were forced to drop the price. AT&T charges 15 dollars for 256MBs. :confused:

6. kidnice15 macrumors member

Trust me I know. I got a 3G vita and opted for the 15 $ 250 mb data plan and I am like wow. That is crazy. I can't even browse a website with out going over my data cap. So glad that I am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan

7. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

if anything i will just test out a quick video to see the speed but ill just turn on wifi for that how about websites will the data go quick?

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It depends on which sites you go to. Some use more than others.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Websites may not burn a lot. It'd depend on the content.

Since you already have AT&T on an iPhone, have you checked your typical monthly usage via AT&T's online account management?

There's a way to look at month by month data usage for your phone, not sure if this link works but give it a shot: https://www.att.com/view/analytics/process.do?reportActionEvent=A_VB_CREATE_BILLING_REPORT_SUBMIT

10. dgreene196 macrumors member

It really depends on how you use your devices. As noted so far in this thread, some people chew through massive amounts of data very quickly. I always thought I was a moderately heavy user of my phone, but I typically only use 800-900 MB (with usage going up to just over 2 GB when I go out of town for a bit). Obviously nothing compared to other users, but I spend 80% of waking hours in places with easily accessible WiFi.

With my iPad, I was much more likely to rent a movie from iTunes/rip a movie in my collection if I knew I was going be traveling for long periods of time without free downloads. That way, I saved my limited 3G data for more routine/essential surfing/email/etc. Just because you have wireless cellular data doesn't mean you HAVE to use it for everything.

11. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

that was my plan just for email and surfing the web mainly anything that's streaming or watching a hd video would be turning on wifi.

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

I never ever stream videos on a 3G or 4G connection. Why would you waste your allotment on something you can do at home with wifi.

I plan on starting on the 2GB Plan, strictly email, light web and see how it goes from there.

I do like the non commitment plan and will probably add it when I feel like I need it.

13. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

I currently use 5-8Gb a month, and that's pretty casual usage for me (I'm generally not far from a free wifi connection). Without wifi I'd be using a LOT more data.

14. homeboy macrumors 6502

Given that the iPad 3 has a high resolution display, larger apps and you will have access to 4G speeds, I reckon that you'd hit the 2GB wall in less than 10.