is 3.0 beta stable enough yet (for developer, but with only one device)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dccorona, Mar 21, 2009.

1. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I'm just beginning to start developing for the iPhone. I don't have any apps out yet, and I'm very new to the developing scene (not the iPhone though)

I've been watching all the 3.0 threads so far, but none have seemed to be geared toward someone with my question, only towards those only using 3.0 because they are impatient

I would love to be able to start coding in 3.0, as access to the new API's sounds like it would give me more options in my apps

BUT I'm still hesitant, because I don't have a test device. My iPhone is my only one, and it is, of course, also my phone. I can't afford for it to not work

So I'm looking for some input as to wether or not 3.0 is stable enough for me to use on my only phone, of if sticking to coding for 2.2.1 is best for me right now (I know I could code for 3.0 without using a test device and only the simulator, but I want to be able to test on an actual phone, so that won't work)

2. elbirth macrumors 65816

If you need the phone to function as a phone, send text messages, and maybe send/receive email, then yes 3.0 is perfectly fine to use on your primary phone.

The problems with the beta so far generally come in the form of a slight lag in responsiveness and various glitches here and there (maybe a keyboard won't resize when going into landscape mode, etc).

If you can put up with a few glitches that really only hinder the cool factor of the iPhone and not the very basic functionality (although the basics are lagged a little for now), it's safe to put on there. I have it on my only iPhone and although it can get annoying since it's not "smooth as butter" all the time, there's nothing basic in terms of phone calls and email that I simply cannot do.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Well, I've been learning to develop for the iPhone more or less for the past year or so and was presented with the same question. I decided to go ahead and update to 3.0 and hope for the best. Developing is not my full-time job and I need my iPhone for my job. I've found, though it is certainly buggy and a beta, it is quite suitable for every day use.

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Im using 3.0 on my phone right now. Its pretty much stable, only one of my apps wont work. Its a bit sluggish though.

5. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I'm using 3.0 on my only iPhone, and it's working great. Few minor glitches, but nothing that's completely killed my productivity. I'd say it's a safe update.

EDIT: After using it a little more, I'd go as far as saying it's a HUGE improvement on productivity. It's a LOT faster than 2.0 was, at least for me. :D

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Mines is STABLE. I'm seriously not having any lag at all...I disable the keyboard and lock sounds, so my text won't lag at all..it worked.

7. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I consider it stable enough. I am using it on my primary.

8. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Youtube doesn't work. Other than that everything seems pretty stable. The apps open A LOT quicker now and Safari seems a lot snappier.

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

10. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

Thanks guys, great info. I'm probably gonna give it a go

nfl, I remember talking with someone with your same username on mmi.com in a thread about a BB Storm theme.
    Just a coincidence, or is that you?
    If so, small world!

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I'm in the same boat, but Im still debating. If I upgrade to the beta, will I be able to upgrade to the 3.0 when it comes out in the summer? I am certainly not buying another device and I don't want to be stuck with the beta.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

:rolleyes:

Think about it.

13. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I would assume so. But I would have also assumed that you could downgrade to 2.2.1.

14. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

you can downgrade. It's hard to do, and possibly risky, but possible. There's threads about it. And yes, you can get the official once it's released. Why would Apple force its developers to be stuck with the buggy version of the software once a more stable version is available?

15. Acevesx macrumors regular

my 3.0 runs perfectly stable the only thing like others mentioned is the lag.

16. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

well I'm signed up now
    all I'm waiting for is the registration code and im good to go

17. kenkamm macrumors regular

IMO: Yes. 3.0 is working very well for me. Any bugs I have discovered are not show-stoppers by any means. When I'm not working on development stuff, I use the phone full time as my primary device.

Important: Do not restore from backup. Choose the "set up as new phone" option. People have found that many of the glitches are caused by restoring from a 2.X backup. That was the case for me as well. Youtube didn't work and Maps was so laggy I thought it was freezing. Once I set it up as a new phone (back up your contacts, bookmarks, etc first!) those features started to work, and there were fewer glitches in general.

18. dccorona thread starter macrumors 68020

dccorona

yea thats what ive heard too
    thanks to MobileMe, contacts/bookmarks are always backed up onto 3 computers for me
    can't wait to try that find my iPhone feature...
    still waiting on that confirmation code
    been a couple hours now