Is 30 GB enough for the OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calviin, Nov 16, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I saw this deal Can I install Snow Leopard on it and just run Master Collection and FCP off an external firewire drive? Would that work?

2. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend it. A larger SSD that can hold your productivity apps is better than a tiny SSD that can only hold your OS.

Relying on an external drive to house your apps like Master Collection and FCP is not the best solution IMO.

3. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

It may hold your OS at first. But it might get a bit laggy and unresponsive down the road because your system will eventually eat up a lot of space in the disk.

4. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can install FCS3 additional content on an external drive.

Though I have to wonder if you own both Master Collection and Final Cut Suite, I would think you could afford a bigger drive?

6. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

30gig is really pushing it, with surfing the net and all the precache files piling up, you won't have that much space at all.

Not to mention other features of the OS that require more harddisk space.

for a boot drive, I'd recommend at least 120gig

7. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Just to provide another perspective, I've been running a 40GB SSD as my boot drive since mid may. My usage looks like this:

9.4GB Applications
    5.2GB Users
    2.5GB Library
    2.1GB System
    2.9G other used space

Of course, my 22GB used excludes the hibernation file which is the same size as installed ram (i turned it off) and movies and music which are on my mechanical hard drive.