Is 32g upgrade worth 100$??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bigbenxl786, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Bigbenxl786 macrumors newbie

I was going to buy the 8g itouch bout 2 months ago but decided to wait for update but now that they have updated only the 32 and added the 64 im not sure if i should just get the old 8g or spend the extra 100 to get 32 (i would never fill it im just thinking for performance) if you have the 32g is the difference really that big??

Please help a newbie!!!
    Thanks
    (the only other ipod ive ever owned was an old ipod nano not sure what gen)

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

If you're not going to come close to filling it, don't buy it. I don't know how large your library is (or the rate that it increases), but if 8 is big enough, 32GB is a waste of money.

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Realize that if you're ever gonna sell it in the future (i.e. right before the Sep. 2010 update), that 4x capacity and faster processor will net you more than $100 extra over the 2G 8GB model. And using "iPod touch 3G" as a selling point would be an advantage. Also, extra room for movies and apps is nice. Ripping movies could use up a fair amount of space.

Something to think about.

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

another thing!

even though u get this new ipod touch 32GB,

you have to look at the positives

-faster processor (and that's it)

-voice control (and that)

so don't hold back, and don't buy an 8GB 3G, b/c it's just like the 2G.

Would I buy it?

-No

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

True. The 3G is apparently significantly than the 2G faster in everything, including web browsing. That doesn't include games, which might be more demanding in the future as well.

6. Bigbenxl786 thread starter macrumors newbie

im not planning to sell it any time soon and 10 hours of video is plenty i only have a couple and dont add movies or songs that often the main reason im looking at itouch over the new nano are the apps seem awsome and another quick question how far does the wifi range go for an itouch?

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

You realize if you buy the 32GB now, you could sell it for $240+ in next September? losing 1/7th the value after 1 year isn't bad at all.

8. Bigbenxl786 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im Not Going To Sell It!!
    I just want to know if the 32 is really that much better than the 8g performance wise if i should spend the extra 100

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, we have no numbers yet, but check out this link for some videos.

10. Resist macrumors 68030

More memory is always better. I like a lot of video content, so I never have enough memory.

Performance wise, don't confuse RAM with Memory Storage. A 64GB Touch is no faster than an 8GB Touch, it just has more storage space. If the RAM and processor have been improved on the newer Touch, then yes it would be faster and worth it in my opinion.

11. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

The guts of the 32/64GB are better than the new 8GB or the old 8/16/32GB. How much of a difference this is hasn't really been determined yet, that I'm aware of of, however.

12. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

If the actual speed difference is like the one between the original iPhone and the 3G S, I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra $100. I love my 3G S, and it's almost unbearable to use an original one now. So slow! ;)

13. Bigbenxl786 thread starter macrumors newbie

what i could do is if they update the 8g before next september i could sell my itouch for at min 100$ and just make up the extra 100 or so to get the new 8g
    good idea? or should i just go with 32g?