Is 3g going to make it to iphone this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emoeric, Sep 18, 2007.

1. emoeric macrumors member

Two things matter to me with a potential iphone update this year: 16gb on the high end, and 3g speeds. I do not care about it being thinner or lighter, I just want these two options increased on an iphone update. I have a general question in regards to 3g with the iphone: how long until it gets into the iphone?

Should I wait this year for it, or just surrender and buy the phone. I have waited since january this year for the phone, and now the wait is getting really old (keep in mind i waited an additional 8 months before january 07 for the announcement).

Please advise me.

Note* is macworld 2008 an extreme likelihood it will make it into the phone then?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Slim and None. O2 in UK will start shipping Nov. 9, 2007 without 3G.

Check ATT web site for coverage. If you are in the BEST area you may find that EDGE is very good. I am very happy with EDGE. Most Blackberries run on EDGE for EMAIL and they are not complaining that I am aware of. The only thing that 3G will really help is the Web (Safari). For me, I use sites that are design for the small screen so I find the reduced data loads very quickly. As far as YouTube, I think it is a WiFi application.

Also, I don't have a lot of music and pictures. My 8GB has almost 6GB free.

3. pixlnet macrumors member

I would say you're more likely to see a flash storage upgrade before 3g. I'm guessing 3G will come out next summer or next fall as a free upgrade on your data plan.

4. amakh007 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat....waiting for 3G and 16GB. I didn't think 3G could be a software update. I think it has to be hardware, which would mean no free upgrade...

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Free upgrade? Not happening. New phone, that will happen.

I think we will see both together next year, if I had to guess. Not happening anytime soon, especially if they're rolling out EDGE phones in UK (which has as little EDGE coverage as the USA has 3G coverage, by the way)

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Its going to be a long wait. I wanted to wait too but it wasn't possible and I took the plunge. Mind you by the time 3G is out there will something even more interesting people will be talking about. It's a cat and mouse game. There is always going to be something new coming out.
    My advice is to go and buy the iphone now.

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Beat me to it....

I thought this was well known that we wouldn't get 3g this year.

8. earthsick macrumors regular

step 1.

Kill horse.

step 2.

Beat dead horse.

step 3.

Repeat...

9. emoeric thread starter macrumors member

For those people that are on macrumors 3 times a day, those people may not be informed on the matter of no 3g this year.

Furthermore, lets not say we are beating a dead horse when the answer I needed is deeply embeded in other posts 15-25 pages deep in length. To escalate the importance of making this post, I swam through tons and tons of replies that simply stated stupid commentary or arguing with peoples personal beliefs. Get a life if you are that intense into these forums, that or don't be such an ass.

Now that I am done with that, lets get back on topic. Thank you to everyone to informing me of this simple answer. Next question is, are we going to get any sort of update this year? Any increase on storage size? Any software updates besides the international keyboard and wifi store? Slimming the phone down? Any reason i should wait this 1month, 2 months, or max 3? If not I will go out and get one this month.

Thanks again to everyone's logical and constructive posts. :)

10. Twinkie macrumors regular

Wow... you really are emo. HEY-O!

Seriously, you're not playing with a full deck if you think anyone on these forums has the remotest bits of factual information about upcoming products or updates that aren't on the front page.

If you're looking for baseless speculation, "This guy I know whose roommate works at the AT&T kiosk at the mall says...", and "wait" as the answer to any question that starts with "Should I buy...", then welcome home.

11. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

Haha....are you sure you don't rinse before repeating?:D

12. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I'D SAY go ahead and buy....
    3G will be a ways off, Jobs himself said it will be next year. I think summer or fall of next year. Att still has a way to go to get there 3G network better...to actually make the upgrade worth wild.

as far as a 16gb i'd say the same....

the touch uses 2 flash chips to make its 16gb....the iphone only uses 1 flash chip. Which means the 16's are still to pricey. Maybe the price will be inline for next year or they will increase the thickness to accomidate 2 chips and more battery for the 3g.
    But this is all speculation.
    go ahead and enjoy it. waiting for technology sucks

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In fact I was in the ATT store today and the guy their told me he just received a double top secret manual that said the 3G 64GB iPhone would in fact ship THIS YEAR in a special bundle packaged with a maroon PowerBook G5. I totally believe the dude because I mean he works at the ATT store for $5 and hour and I'm so totally sure Apple is going to let him on on all their marketing secrets even if Apple won't talk to Wall Street analysts about future products.

14. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Is that the one with the Pony 3D screensaver?

Yah. I am so buying that one too!

15. emoeric thread starter macrumors member

Gee I love how the d-bags trickle in from all areas of the internet. I love even more at your tasteless need to self improve by insulting others. HEY-O!

Thanks for the advice on just buying and enjoying the phone. I will do! Thanks everyone again for helping out. Funny jokes all the way around. Bahahahahaha 64gb iphone.....

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It works on EDGE, but with worse quality...

17. Twinkie macrumors regular

You mean like calling people "d-bag"?

It's okay. Cheer up, emokid.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I love that we're d-bags because someone doesn't think to use the search button, or that we're insulting because someone thought this was an Apple boardroom conference call instead of a board full of d-bags.

The FACT is, you're all wrong. It's a 1TB iPhone with 9G, .5mm thick. And it's coming out 3 Thursdays from last Tuesday. Still no MMS though, sorry!

19. Twinkie macrumors regular

Well, I, for one, am going to wait until Steve finally gets his act together and puts MMS in the thing, even if it does mean that I'd actually make $200 and be released from my contract for taking it.