Is 3G v EDGE a voice thing, too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bad Paper, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

I had assumed that the 3G v EDGE thing was for data connections only. Does it also apply to voice communication? Is there a noticable quality difference?

2. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Also with 3G you can use voice + data simultaneously. This is helpful if you are using an app that needs a constant data connection like internet radio and want to receive calls. Otherwise if you are on EDGE and your iPhone is downloading data, the call will go to voicemail.

4. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

Also, if you're using a headset, it's really easy to use Internet-based apps while talking to someone :D

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The iPhone (or any phone for that matter) does not use EDGE for voice. EDGE is data only. The iPhone uses standard 2G for voice, and depending on the type of encoding being used (AMR-HR vs AMR-FR for example), the quality of 2G can be anywhere from much worse to basically identical to 3G voice, and perhaps even better depending on coverage.

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

What happens if I call someone using 3G but the person I'm calling is using a 2G phone, does that negate the benefits of having called via 3G?

7. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

No. You retain the benefits of 3G and your friend retains the limitations of 2G.

8. davidwes macrumors 6502

During the keynote for the first iPhone (ie not the 3G one) Jobs talked to someone on the phone and while still on the phone surfed the web and emailed a picture. This seems to make your statement wrong.

9. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

i think you are wrong... beacuse most likely he was using WiFi to have any type of connection during a call.

you cant use data while in a call using EDGE unless you are on WiFi

10. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you have Wifi which I'm sure Steve did you can make calls and get data because the call is using 2G and the data is using the Wifi.

With 3G you can call and receive data without a Wifi signal.

11. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Both generation iPhones are able to use wifi while taking a phone call, this is what Jobs was using to demo the 2G iPhone. While iPhone 3G can do this as well 3G allows voice and data to work at the same time on a 3G network providing the same feature on a bigger scale.