Is 3gs worth it over 3g, besides the space thing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shamash, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

A good amount of the reason I'm considering FINALLY upgrading from my 8gig 3g is because 1) I want a white phone, 2) I want 32gb so I can have a lot more music as I actually use my phone as an ipod.

Besides these two things, is it worth spending $300 on the new phone? Just trying to figure it out before I do it and they come out with a much cooler one in 6 months :p

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Depends on how your 3G service is in your area.

Oh and how much you like speeeeeeeeed.... :D

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I usually have great 3g service, but for the past few days it's been oddly switching to edge a lot. Does the 3gs have better reception?

4. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

The 3GS is much better IMO. Much much poppier. All the apps and the web is tons crackier too. Seriously night/day.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I wouldn't say it has better reception. Some even claim it's worse...

6. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

How's the battery life? I tried to start using AIM with push on, and it just eats my battery to death in hours on my 3G

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The faster processor speed is very noticable.

I can pick up my wife's 3GS and very easily tell the difference from my own 3G in the way it works. Everything from using apps to writing e-mails. It's all just faster and smoother.

8. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

I wasn't upgrade eligible for a 3GS, so I just have a 3G. But if I was starting fresh, I would go with a 3GS. When I use my dad's/friend's phones, the speed at which that thing operates is easily worth it...

of course, I am waiting for 64GB before I upgrade :D

9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

No one can tell you if $300 is worth it. Does it feel worth it to you? Do you have $300 floating about that you wouldn't miss? Will spending the $300 mean you have to go without other things?

Worth is a very personal and subjective thing. You know what the 3GS does that the 3G doesn't do you think paying $300 for those things that you would actually use would make you feel ripped off or not. If yes, then don't get one. In no then DO get one :)

What swung it in my case was knowing I'd not be restricted as to what new Apps I could use. I can see the compass being used in many clever ways shortly. I did not want to miss out on any of the fun.

10. christyn macrumors 6502a

The speed alone was worth my paying the early upgrade price.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get it, b/c I got it and it is 2X faster than both previous iPhones and 2X more storage than my 3G....

12. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

Get 3gs

Video camera and better camera in general with auto focus..... worth it.. It is way faster at loading web pages too! plus the digtal compass... it will come in handy very soon... and everyone will need to have 3GS for the apps.. "Augmented Reality" (look that up if you havent already) DO NOT GET 3G you will wish you had the nicer 3GS... I have owned all generations.. and there is no way I could go back to original 3G..

worth the Extra $$$ I promise you.

you will find yourself just reading about the 3GS all the time wishing you had gotten it.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's faster, has better battery life, has voice recog, and has video. Also, the next version won't come out until next June at the earliest. If you can wait, I'd wait. Pretty much up to you.

14. applerocks macrumors regular

ditto

There's no reason to get locked in for another two years. iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS was only evolutionary, and that term is generous. It's a Snow Leopard to your Mac OS X Leopard. There's a reason Snow Leopard only costs $29.

Apple hasn't had any MAJOR feature added to iPhone (feature as in something "ooh ahh" worthy not just 3G) since arguably the first iPhone, with perhaps the exception of GPS. The new iPhone 3GS will pull in new iPhone owners, but because of contract issues, I truly don't believe it was designed to get 3G owners to upgrade. (I understand this paragraph may be highly contested, but it's my $.02.)

With that said, I think the next iPhone has to be revolutionary for Apple to stay competitive, and I think it will be. So, wait. Because you're gonna want to put down even more money. If I spend $300, I like to have a new shiny device, not one that looks the same and is shinier inside (aka more RAM, better processor, faster blah blah).

15. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

locked in for 2 years isn't really a big worry of mine, i really want to upgrade for the 32 gigabytes anyways, i just can't decide if $250 for an ipod is more worth it than $300 for the upgraded phone.. 32gigs would be enough i think, but yeah

16. applerocks macrumors regular

Here's a question for you: If a new, amazing iPhone came out this June. Would you be a) okay with your current iPhone for another year or b) be willing to pay another EXTRA $200 on top of the price for an early upgrade?

17. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

See thats why I'm kinda thinking about it and making this post... I was able to upgrade from edge to 3g easily just 6 months after getting edge when 3g came out, and at first I wasn't going to be able to upgrade to 3GS but I just got home from a 24 hour/day summercamp job for the past 2 months and found out that I could upgrade... Do you think if a kick ass one comes out in a year, they won't be letting me get it?

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I will never understand these threads. How can anyone, let alone complete strangers, can tell you what something is worth to you. If your main concern is the $300 because you don't have the money in your budget then the common sense answer is don't get it.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Really? When was the last time you saw a computer double - literally double - its performance in a single generation? Id' say that's a HUGE evolutionary leap!!! Double the speed. Double the RAM. Double the storage capacity. I've been building custom PCs for over a decade now, and I can tell you this is the first time I've seen such a dramatic boost. Or is a 100% jump not significant enough for you? ;)

20. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Why are you here then? These threads are for discussions like this.

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Really? These forums are here to help people make decisions? People come here to help talk each other into things, or to be talked into things? Which one are you?

22. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

If the people want help, yes. Do you ever discuss things with others before making a decision? This is an extension of sitting around your living room and discussing things, here you can find more people with like interests. I myself already decided on this issue, I'll wait for the next generation, this one doesn't offer enough to be worth making the switch.

23. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

TMar next time you have a problem with a thread there's a little red circle in the upper left corner of the window you can click. Please don't hijack my threads, regardless of whether or not you like the content, and take the attention away from the issue originally presented. Thanks!

24. byulasfjazz macrumors regular

byulasfjazz

Ok Lemme TELL YOU THE FACTS

PEOPLE THAT WAIT... WILL ALWAYS BE WAITING! (in a whinny voice almost crying)"oh why should i get the upgrade now i will just wait for the nexts years model"... HOW DUMB IS THAT STATEMENT?? IF you have the money now get it now... once again I have purchased every IPHONE there has been... how much did I PAY??? 300 bucks just once... I sold my 2nd gen when the 3G came out... I sold MY 3G when the 3GS came out... didnt pay much.. 18 bucks activation fee.. even made some money... so get it now! you can always sell it and get another... I enjoy every upgrade and have the I HAVE THE BEST ALWAYS attitude

25. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I didn't hijack anything. I posted a response to your original post. It had everything to do with the content of that post. countrydweller got off topic as to why I was here, so talk to him.