Is 3mm that much? (speculating about 8mm drives)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by K1dGorgeous, Mar 8, 2008.

1. K1dGorgeous macrumors newbie

I know the 80gb hard drive in the air is 5mm thick and the next biggest size hard drives are 8mm (due to the second platter). There is a 160gb samsung with a PATA/ZIF connector (HS161JB/A) and considering that the air about 19mm thick around the hard drive area anyone with an air think its possible to squeeze that extra 3mm in there (maybe a little off the foam)? My Air is arriving tomorrow but Id like to hear any thoughts on this possible mod.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If there was a way to do that, Apple would have put in a 160. I'm fairly certain things are pretty tight it there. There's not enough room for one.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

And don't forget that even if there is physically enough room for the larger drive, there may be temperature-related reasons not to try to squeeze one in.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well there is about 1/2mm worth of padding sponge affixed to the HDD, so surely you probably 'could' put in a 5mm without it.

Personally I would'nt risk it..

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can put one in it. You can't just move the system or have any "major" vibrations. Also, it might bulge out like its gonna explode :D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

is 3mm a lot? yes. it might seem like an insignificant amount at first, but when you're talking small spaces it adds up fast.