Is 4 GB RAM needed? Or will 2 do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by faizan, Mar 6, 2009.

1. faizan macrumors newbie

faizan

Hi,
    I'm about to receive a new Macbook (2.0 Ghz Unibody). I was wondering if I should consider upgrading RAM to 4 GB. Is crucial the best place to buy RAM upgrades?

I'll only be using Office, Photoshop and Aperture on the Macbook (and maybe some games).

Thanks?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Depends on what you're doing, but Photoshop is quite memory hungry and 4gb will improve performance noticeably. RAM is cheap these days - worth the investment.

Crucial is my preferred supplier of RAM - been using them for years (both for personal needs and for work). Never had a problem.

3. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded to 4 GB's. I've noticed a definite difference. Since you are using Photoshop I would recommend it. It's worth the 50-60 bucks in my opinion.

4. faizan thread starter macrumors newbie

faizan

thanks for the info.. I'll order my extra RAM from Crucial!

5. sheepforwheat macrumors newbie

Be Careful!

Do you have the new White Macbook ? If so you might want to check out this thread first, crucial has some RAM on sale on newegg.com that says it is compatible with "all macbooks", but a couple reviewers say that it was not compatible with their new white macbook MB881LL /A with NVIDIA.

6. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

7. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

8. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

I've been getting my upgrades through macsales.com (OWC) for a number of years and their prices are good and have never had problems. Their customer service is great too. I upgraded my 2.4 MB memory and HD through them and it works great.

OS X runs well in 2gb RAM but thats the lower edge of good performance and you loose a quarter gb to video on the new MB so the 4gb upgrade is a good purchase particularly if you use programs like Photoshop.

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Best thing you could so is wait till you have the notebook and work on it with the 2 GB in place. Start activity monitor and check RAM usage. If after a few hours of working on it (in Photoshop and Aperture) you're not yet using SWAP, you don't need the memory.