Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pphammer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
The Shire (York)
Is a broadband connection with a 40 gigabyte per month limit enough today? I cannot think how much that is. Any help or advice would be appreciated before I sign up for this. I have an unlimited usage cable connection at the moment, but for various reasons am changing.

Thanks in anticipation.

pphammer:confused:

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
pphammer said:
Is a broadband connection with a 40 gigabyte per month limit enough today? I cannot think how much that is. Any help or advice would be appreciated before I sign up for this. I have an unlimited usage cable connection at the moment, but for various reasons am changing.

Thanks in anticipation.

pphammer:confused:

Well, the answer depends on how much use use your connection, and for what. If you mostly browse and use email then 40GB should be way more than you need. If you play WOW 24 hours per day, and use a lot of online storage, and download tons of video podcasts, then maybe not. 40GB is a lot of data to transfer, so you may be fine.

Ross Henderson

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
That depends entirely on what you use it for and how often. Presumably the provider does not exspect you to reach that limit and it's just a policy they have put in place to protect themselves from excessive users. Personally however, I wouldn't use it.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
well at work(a school) we use about 30GB a month on a T1 connection. That is regular browsing and email, and the odd media clips, plus many gigs of windows updates.(we have a 40 GB hard drive full of them) But there is no P2P. So if you use P2P or host servers then it might not be. But otherwise it probably will be.

iHotu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
at large
You can use a Widget like Sys Stat to measure your usage, it keeps a running total from your last restart.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
It's dependent on what you use it for as all above have said.

If you just want to browse and e-mail then it would be plenty.

If, along with your web browsing and e-mail, you download tv programs, use P2P, like watching re-runs of keynotes and generally use a lot of media content, then 40GB is probably the minimum.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
As others have stated it really depends on what you plan on using the internet for.

I personally would never sign up for a service that has a limit on it. I use my iMac as a server so i can access it when i am not at home. I also like to download episodes that i have missed of my favorite TV shows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.