Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
The price is a conversion, I'm in Europe.

Is this a good deal for a first Mac...to learn how to use it before getting a MacBook Pro?

It has Tiger..

Would I be better off getting a cheaper iMac like a G3, or a Mac Mini?

Thanks,

appledu

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
miles01110 said:
It depends a lot on the specs, but I'd say its a pretty good deal. Is it the lamp-like model, or the flat panel?

G4 is the lamp style with the super adjustable display - [guide]iMac G4[/guide].

appledu said:
15"
830Mhz
512DDR
60Gb

Yes, the "ball/lamp"...

Is 830Mhz really enough?

Won't Tiger struggle?

appledu

Get a 1GB of RAM in there and it'll fly in Tiger. However, I would recommend a later 17" iMac G4 or a used Mac Mini if you could afford it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
appledu said:
15"
830Mhz
512DDR
60Gb

Yes, the "ball/lamp"...

Is 830Mhz really enough?

Won't Tiger struggle?

appledu

Well, there was never a 830MHz iMac G4 that I know of- so the processor probably runs at 800MHz. But at that price, I think that you would be getting a good deal. :)

The iMac G4 in question should be fine for getting acquainted with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger- my only advice would be to upgrade the RAM. :)

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
Where do I get Ram from?

Is it hard to change?

Would you buy this, or am I better off getting a Mini?

How fast would it be compared to my current machine, a Dell PIV 2Ghz?

appledu

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
appledu said:
Where do I get Ram from?

Is it hard to change?

Would you buy this, or am I better off getting a Mini?

How fast would it be compared to my current machine, a Dell PIV 2Ghz?

appledu

Well it all depends on your current location. I know Crucial sell in Europe but can't think of any others. As for the installation it's a simple case of popping off a few screws, plugging in the RAM (it's a bit like adding a block of Lego :)) and putting the screws back.

As for a speed comparison to a 2 GHz P4, it'll be only slightly slower providing that PC has over 512 MB RAM.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
appledu said:
PC has 1Gb...

If I upgraded the G4 to 1Gb, what speed difference would there be?

Could I use such a computer for photo editing and stuff?

appledu

There will be very little difference then. The G4 would feel slightly slower in things like photo editing. But for surfing the web, email, iTunes etc. it'll be just as fast as the P4.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
appledu said:
PC has 1Gb...

If I upgraded the G4 to 1Gb, what speed difference would there be?

Could I use such a computer for photo editing and stuff?

appledu

If the iMac G4 had 1GB of RAM, I think that it would be about equal to your 2GHz P4 based PC. :)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I found that the hardest part about getting new RAM into my iMac G4 was figuring out a way to hold it so that the screen wouldn't get damaged. I finally settled for putting it between my legs and wrapping a towel around the screen just in case it fell.

Other than that, popping in the new RAM is really easy-you just insert the chip and push it back into the horizontal position so you can close the lid again. You really can't mess it up...assuming you want your computer to run correctly.

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
Thanks,

What about the screen? I'm currently at 1600x1200, and it will be hard to go down to 1024x768...is it really that bad?

Also, is it possible to change the menu language of iLife and Office?
I ask as he has them in a foreign language..

appledu

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
appledu said:
What about the screen? I'm currently at 1600x1200, and it will be hard to go down to 1024x768...is it really that bad?

Yikes....the resolution change will definitely take some getting used to.

About the language issue- just make sure that whoever you are buying from includes the Tiger installation DVD (also make sure that it has a DVD player!) and boot from the CD to install Tiger. You can choose your language then.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
appledu said:
Thanks,

appledu

Well, going down to a 1024 x 768 screen resolution will be bit of a change- but it can be done. Expose will really help you out with this issue. :)

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
miles01110 said:

About the language issue- just make sure that whoever you are buying from includes the Tiger installation DVD (also make sure that it has a DVD player!) and boot from the CD to install Tiger. You can choose your language then.

Yeah, I know, it's going to really be difficult, but it's a temp machine, as I'll be getting an MBP later on...

Also, I know you can change language in Tiger, but what about Office and iLife?

How wrong would it be to "obtain" copies of these and use the foreign serial?

appledu

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
miles01110 said:

All 800 MHz iMac G4s have either Combo or Superdrives so you're fine. But now that you've told us about the resolution change, I would strongly recommend at least the 17" iMac G4.

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
BlizzardBomb said:
All 800 MHz iMac G4s have either Combo or Superdrives so you're fine. But now that you've told us about the resolution change, I would strongly recommend at least the 17" iMac G4.

Ahh! Don't say that!!

So, would you not bother?

But the 17" is only 1440x900...

Is it that much different?

appledu

PS: Anyone know about the software?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
appledu said:
Ahh! Don't say that!!

appledu

IMO its quite a big difference, but its all a matter of opinion I guess. If you want to see if you can handle it, try setting your current monitor to 1024x768 and see if you can use it (if its an LCD it may look a bit blurry at 1024x768 so ignore that). As for software, I'm sure the install disks would sort it all out.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
appledu said:
Ahh! Don't say that!!

appledu

A 17" iMac G4 at 1440 x 900 would be a nice improvement in my opinion. :)

Either way you go (17" or 15" iMac G4), you will be getting a nice machine to familiarize yourself with Mac OS. :)

appledu

macrumors member
Original poster
BlizzardBomb said:
IMO its quite a big difference, but its all a matter of opinion I guess. If you want to see if you can handle it, try setting your current monitor to 1024x768 and see if you can use it (if its an LCD it may look a bit blurry at 1024x768 so ignore that). As for software, I'm sure the install disks would sort it all out.

I just have set my screen (laptop) to that...and it's horrible!!! :eek:

I'm not sure if you can install stuff like Office in other languages, as they seem to sell them in only one language, and I know you can't change the Windows versions' language...

Should I bother...or wait for a better deal?

I guess that I could get it now, and always give it to my parents when I get my MBP, as they are on a 2Ghz Celeron...

appledu

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
appledu said:
I just have set my screen (laptop) to that...and it's horrible!!! :eek:

I'm not sure if you can install stuff like Office in other languages, as they seem to sell them in only one language, and I know you can't change the Windows versions' language...

Should I bother...or wait for a better deal?

That is your call, the iMac G4 seems like a good deal for the price. If you think that you need something with a higher resolution, then consider getting a used Mac Mini G4. :)

appledu said:
I guess that I could get it now, and always give it to my parents when I get my MBP, as they are on a 2Ghz Celeron...

appledu

I am sure that they would really appreciate that, an iMac G4 would be a nice upgrade for them over a 2GHz Celeron. :)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
miles01110 said:
I found that the hardest part about getting new RAM into my iMac G4 was figuring out a way to hold it so that the screen wouldn't get damaged.

Also loosening the screws, I ALWAYS strip them.:eek: :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.