is $400 or more worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hoon2999, Apr 13, 2015.

1. hoon2999 macrumors regular

I wanted some honest opinions here. I personally only used Apple smartphones and tablets(iPhones 4, 5, 6 plus, and iPad 2, 3, Air 2).
    And for awhile now, I been looking into those smart watches. I seen Moto360, LG G Watch or whatever, etc etc but couldnt find myself buying them since they all lack in compatibility with iOS devices.

Now Apple made their own one, with very high price range. I mean I do understand that there are premium pricing on every Apple products but Phones and Tablets are pretty much "must-have" things nowadays.(i do alot of productivity and study with iPads)
    But i cant really justify paying those premium pricetag on smart watches. When only thing that differentiate Apple Watch from other Smart Watches is the fact that it supports iOS devices. And it literally lacks in functionality compare to other ones. Well I did pre ordered one just to check what it is but Im still not sold yet.(otherwise I would have bought more for my whole family)

If anyone followed up with Apple Watch news or even tried on-hand experience, please share what you think about these watches. thx :):apple:

2. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

I think you've just answered your own question

3. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

LOL!!!! Same thing I was thinking...

4. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

well i was hoping to hear what others think or see if im missing something..
    what i hear from reviews and such are pretty negative i feel like. but i know reviews are just reviews and it might look totally different on sight. just that i dont have enough spare time to go to apple store and check them out on my own :(

5. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I actually think the watch can be more of a necessity than a tablet. All a tablet does is provide a bigger screen than an smartphone but does the exact same things. A smart watch provides different use cases, so if you want to only pay for 2, drop the tablet and your actually saving money :).

6. Rce84 macrumors newbie

Even better idea: dump the tablet and forget the watch. Save even more money and just use your iPhone. All a watch does is provide a much smaller screen to do the same functions that your phone does.

7. AdonisSMU, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You arent missing anything. You did keep someone else who wanted one from being able to have one when you couldve tried yours on in the store before buying.

The reviews are negative but the consensus is the Apple Watch is the best one on the market. If you dont like it, then it is not for you.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its an extension of the phone, so it really doesn't add that much more to what the iPhone can already do.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

ive been debating myself. but i really want to try it so i decided to bite the bullet. if anything, apple devices have the highest resale value so you will get some money back if you're done with it. life is short, enjoy it.

10. Ries macrumors 68000

If too many people did as you, it won't have.

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Huh? U mean if many people buy Apple products it won't have a high resale value? What world do u live in?

12. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I don't think it is a "must have" as you put it. Like others have been saying, it is a luxury item. Apple is very much pushing the watch as a fashion item which also happens to be the best smart watch in the market, which I think is the right move. As for comparing it with the Android Smart Watches -- you will see that even the negative reviews of the Apple Watch all mention that it is the best smart watch in the market at the moment.

I am a daily watch wearer. Watches are ridiculously expensive. If you go to a watch forum and request recommendation for an "affordable" watch, many will point you to a $1,000 watch. You will see many here who compare the Apple Watch (excluding the edition version in this discussion) to a Rolex, Omega, etc, but those watches are multiple times more expensive and the cost to service one of these watches is greater than the cost of the Apple Watch itself.

So in my honest opinion, it would be difficult to find another watch better than the Apple Watch at this price point if you are looking at the Apple Watch just as a watch. The bonus is that it also happens to be a smart watch.

13. hemolyzer macrumors member

Why do you post here?

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

How do you figure? It is right in line with mainstream Seikos, Citizens, Casios and other popular non-smart watches.

Okay, so you can buy a cheap Timex or Armitron for less... just as you can buy a cheap netbook instead of a Macbook Air. Apple can do small and inexpensive (as with the iPod Nano) but it doesn't do cheap.

Given the mainstream-class pricing of the Watch, I really have a problem with folks describing it as "luxury." No. It's a tool, and as its app infrastructure fleshes out we'll get a better sense of what it means for daily productivity.

(Okay, so maybe the Edition is a luxury. But that's a sliver of the sales so far, judging from reports. And for that I'm grateful. The article in Elle with its vapid blonde model and counsel on matching one's Watch with one's "statement jewelry" left me nauseated: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/22/apple-watch-elle-australia-magazine/)

I'll be getting a space-grey Sport, but a tax-time cash crunch dictates I wait a couple months. Meanwhile I'm wearing my trusty old Casio Pathfinder that cost about as much (and whose buttons are coincidentally starting to become unresponsive, giving me a good excuse!). I would not call my old watch a "luxury"-- it has multiple sensors and many functions that I actually use and which help me in my work and daily life, which involves a lot of travel. The Watch, when I get it, will be more so.

That's my expectation, and that of many folks who are purchasing, Elle aside. For us, it's about the functionality, and the integration with our iPhones which have become essential to our daily doings.

15. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the shares guys. I was comparing the pricetag with other smart watches like Pebble, Moto360 and such but i guess it isnt that much as an watch. Never bought myself watch before since i have my iPhone on me all the time but having extention wearable gadget wont be hurt.

Also my iPhone 6 Plus fits way too tight inside my jean pocket so hopefully this watch can help me with struggling when i have to pull them out of my pocket lol

16. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Where is it lacking in functionality? specifically?

17. hoon2999 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i can quote several things that other wearing gadgets have. Such as GPS, water-proof, battery life, extra functionality with band, etc etc. and most importantly, it requires iPhone next to you... Yea they said it can remember your exercising patterns/routes or what not but still requires you to carry your iPhone atleast once. And i hate carrying gigantic 5.5" phone in my pocket while i do jogging.... But we'll see how Apple can go around this