Is 42nd Street Photo a trusted store?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JDDavis, Oct 20, 2014.

1. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

2. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

I've never used them, but I'd guess it's gray-market gear--import models without warranties. And if you're going to pay that much for a piece of consumer electronics, I'd think you'd want that warranty. But I wouldn't paint all NY stores with the same brush--I've used B&H and Adorama many times over the years without complaint.

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

5. bluespark macrumors 65816

Quite right. NYC has some of the best photography stores in the world -- B&H (my favorite) and Adorama come immediately to mind. And the B&H showroom is well worth traveling to the city to see. 42 Photo is not the same deal, and I wouldn't trust them.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would be afraid to go to B&H with a couple of credit cards. That would be bad, very, very bad. ;)

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Got their address? Passport came this week. It's only logical! :D

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

9. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

I've not used 42nd Street Photo directly. However, I've successfully had Best Buy match a price from them :)

10. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

11. JDDavis thread starter macrumors 65816

JDDavis

Kind of what I figured. I believe I've bought all of my photography gear off of Amazon so far. Unfortunately there is really no local store where I live (other than Best Buy, I guess).

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If a deal is too good to be true, then it usually is.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Why pay sales tax at Best Buy?

14. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

LOL -even the tourists know not to go into the camera stores in Times Square! As others have mentioned B&H is probably the number one destination but Adorama is also very reputable - I shop at both and have never had a problem with either retailer. For online purchases I've also gone to Samy's camera on the west coast and again, I've spent big $$$ and never had a problem.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have to agree here. They are the only two NYC photo stores that I trust 100%.

16. sarge, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

If you really want to know where to shop it's a good idea to check out the full list of authorized retailers of the manufacturer in question. Canon for example has their list here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

Nikon here:
    http://cdn-6.nikon-cdn.com/where-to-buy/nikon_img_auth_dealers.pdf

The good thing about B&H and Adorama is the return policy which I believe is 30 days. After that you are relying on the manufacturers warranty which to the best of my knowledge they will only honor if your purchased from an authorized reseller.

EDIT: I don't see 42nd street shakedown on either of them

17. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

A lot of my buddies who travel from the UK make sure BHPhoto is one of there stops.

Best Buy had the D610 on sale. I think once you added the tax, you would save about $20-30 that what BH and Adorama was selling it for.

I've ordered from BHPhoto and Adorama. Also, I've heard people who bought from their used section, and returning them without any problems.

Always stick with authorized dealers. I bet the D610 deal didn't come with a battery or any of the accessories. That's why the price is low.

18. v3rlon macrumors 6502

prices too good to be true:

YOU: I see you have the new Nikon D7 million for $429. Do you have them in stock?

42: Yep. I am looking at an entire pallet full of them right now.

YOU: Great, I will take one.

42: That is just the camera, though. If you want a battery, that'll be 100, also 100 for the charger, 300 for the kit lens, 50 for the lens hood, 25 for the usb cable, 300 for the upgraded metal frame, and 300 for the US warranty so it comes to $1604. You'll want expedite shipping which is another 100, or you have to wait for 12 weeks while it comes from China.

YOU: But all d 7 Millions have a magnesium frame, and they are made in Japan, not China. I have a ton of Nikon glass, and I can get a better price on batteries. I will take just the camera.

42: Sorry, we are out of stock.

MA BELL: click - brrrrrrrrrrr

and THAT is a) remarkably similar to a real conversation I had with them years ago over a Sony VX2000 and B) about the best outcome you can hope for. Probably do not want them having your CC or personal info.

19. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I've used 42nd St. Photo for 20 years. Never had a problem.

20. colorspace macrumors 6502

Based on my personal experience (from a few years back)... most definitely NOT!

On the other hand nothing but good experiences from B&H and Adorama.

21. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Shipping charge was going to be over half the tax at Orlando's tax rate. In addition, I ended up paying $20 to have it in my hands immediately from a reputable source. I figured it was worth it.

22. qaz111111 macrumors newbie

23. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Wow zombie thread...I remember 42nd street used to be an indie club in Manchester :)

24. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I first used B&H when I worked in the WTC in the '80's. When I got back into photography seven years ago I never considered anyone else. They are the only place I but from.

25. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan