Is $450 a decent price for a 32GB 3G model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMule, Mar 6, 2012.

1. iMule macrumors 6502

This guy wants to pay $450 for my Verizon 32GB iPad 2. He won't budge at $500. I need someone to tell me I'm not an idiot for selling it at that value.

2. xTRIGGER092x, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

Wait until Apple's keynote tomorrow; supposedly, the iPad 2 will still be sold at a reduced price. If that's true, then check the prices for the 32GB 3G (if the model is still sold, and if not, compare it to the model being sold and adjust accordingly) and price just slightly under Apple's price.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

4. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I sold my 32gb Verizon 3G iPad Sunday for $500 in the Philadelphia suburbs (Craigslist). I didn't get too much response until that buyer came along though. I had it listed for $600 on day one and dropped it $25/day until I got a decent offer. I was down to a listing price of $525 and took the $500 I was offered and was happy. Up until that point I had just been offered a few lowball ($200-$250) offers and some crappy trade offers (used PS3 and the usual used paintball equipment offer).

I'd say with the announcement scheduled for tomorrow, I'd take the $450 and call it a day. You aren't going to get that much tomorrow afternoon.

5. Mike4AU macrumors member

As you know, retail on that ipad was $730, before tax. I have one just like and would not consider selling it for $450.

6. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Another thing to consider is waiting & try to sell it a couple weeks after the iPad 3 launches.

I bought my first iPad on Craigslist and started looking for a deal right before the iPad 2 launched. Prices were low before launch and a few days after launch but I couldn't find one in the condition & location wanted. After the launch of the iPad 2, supplies were low and people had a hard time finding them (at least around here) without paying more than retail on Craigslist/ eBay. Sure enough, for several weeks the prices on the first gen iPad rose up again until the iPad 2 was easily picked up just by walking into an Apple store/ Best Buy.

Just a thought. It may be a similar situation with the new iPad launch...

Although I'm hoping not since I want one but I'm not going to take a day off to go wait in line for it. Crossing my fingers that Apple does pre-orders.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's nice. It's also largely irrelevant. With all due respect, buyers don't care what you paid, they look at their options in deciding what they're willing to pay. Figure on a probably $100 price cut on new and refurb ipad2 beginning tomorrow at Apple.com, maybe more at Verizon if AT&T does like they did last year (clearanced 3G ipads at $200-$300 off list). Those are the prices that matter, as they represent the buyer's alternatives.

This is probably the best advice, if you can wait. There will likely be a flood of used units on ebay and CL over the next couple weeks if this year is similar to last year.

8. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

Looks like the people with the 16GB Wifi are really scoring with their device in the used market. I just sold mine for 400 which I paid 450 for on Black Friday. Granted I know they are 499 normally so still it would have been a 100 dollar loss. These 32GB, 64GB are really taking some hits. 32 at about 450 on avg and 64s between 500-550.

9. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. The guy said he'll come to my house and pick it up. This is almost a sickness! Thanks for the eBay links.

10. mikejfrd macrumors regular

sold my 32gb wifi saturday for 445.00 on ebay.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

$450 seems low. But the longer you wait, the price can only keep going down.

12. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got good news: My mom is down a computer and my dad wants a 3G iPad (his is a 16 GB first gen model). It's staying in the family. Gazelle was going to offer around $235 for it.

If you're anything like me, you have to have the newest iDevices.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

The free market will dictate iPad resell prices.

All depends on what Apple does tomorrow. I have a hunch Apple will continue with the iPad 2 16GB wifi model as a "budget entry $299 model" to corner the low end tablet market.

People should have sold it a month ago to get top value.

14. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Great choice to keep it in the family, OP.

Breaking even may be out of the option at this point in the game, but selling it for $300 less than MSRP is just crazy.

15. MacMojo1 macrumors member

16. eikast macrumors member

+1 I sold my 16GB Wifi version for around $425 but yet again that was almost 2 weeks ago.

17. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Sold my 64 3G for $500 last friday on Craigslist. Had a lot of offers at that price, not at $550.

18. zkaslow326 macrumors newbie

Thoughts

What's the point of selling the iPad 2 64Gig 3G for $340.00 +tax less than you paid? You would be better served keeping it in the house as a backup. Why is everyone so quick to sell an old model?

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Turn the question around -- when you go buy an ipad3, would you spend another $450 on a used ipad2 to keep on the shelf as a backup?

I used to keep old tech as "backup". Eventually, after clearing out a closet full of years accumulated dusty worthless stuff I realized I'd thrown away a couple thousand dollars in value.

JMHO. Cut the stuff loose, get what value you can out of it, move on.

20. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

This. Is stupid. If you listen to this guy you're goin for a loss. Sell as soon as possible to get the higher price. $450 is a great price. After the announcements your resale value is gonna drop no matter what apple prices the 2nd gens at.

21. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Not bad. I bought my 32GB Verizon a few days ago for $425.

22. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

I sold mine today "Tuesday" 32gb 3G for 580 CAD including a smart cover since the cover is going to be useless I used it to make the offer look better along with an extra screen protector. And my iPad didn't have the box So . .
    I listed it first for 650 then lowered the price on Monday cause I know as of Wednesday I'm not gonna see this 500 figure ever again. Even without the launch of iPad3 some buyers was arguing that I should sell it to them for 450-500 cause iPad3 is just around the corner. But then came a nice lady who offered 550, I said 575 and I was still willing to give it to her fro 550 but she said deal on 575, when I met her she gave me an envelope and said it's 580 and it's OK about the 5 bucks so I threw in a stylus as a compliment. I couldn't be happier :D