Is 4g really that fast over 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Feb 24, 2014.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I used Virgin mobile with their 3g. Internet was okay but not fast like it is with wifi. I hear ppl say 4g is very fast but is it really that fast over 3g? Also... isn't wifi faster than both 3g and 4g though?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Most people refer to HSPA+ as 4G not to be confused with LTE.

Speed wise 3G > 4G(HSPA+) > LTE

Actual speeds vary but with each step is a very noticeable increase in speeds. Some people have as fast or faster LTE speeds then most have wifi speeds with similar ping times.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I noticed a difference going from 3G to "4G" on AT&T. If I recall correctly, my 3G download speeds never went past 3mbps, while I've seen 5-7mbps downloads on "4G".

Going to LTE is an even larger jump. I typically get 30mbps, and I've even seen slightly over 60mbps.

4. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Would you say its that big of difference though?

5. ds705 macrumors member

I think you got that backwards, LTE>4G>3G

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are the '>' symbols being used as progression (which would be work I guess) or as actual comparison symbols, in which case it would seem that '>' would be more fitting in those instances? Just curious.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Oops, I didn't think that through. I was using it like I would directions, settings > general > Usage, etc etc...

Regardless I meant 3G < 4G < LTE...

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah for example especially when streaming content, and loading web pages.

The raw speed of LTE is similar to wifi, but the loading time is more hesitant/inconsistent. But overall its in the same ballpark of potential speeds.

The speed of 4G is like a step below and streaming a video might be really fast, but it could also take a second to load. You can have video conversations like this and above.

With 3G its like a whole different world and you may even have to rebuffed in the middle of a video. And web pages, when you load them there is a noticeable delay of whole seconds. video chats are way worse.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's noticeable enough that I wouldn't want to go back to "4G," let alone 3G.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're talking about Virgin mobile.
    Don't expect anything fast. Their CDMA 3G is a turtle anyway.

11. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I went from "4G" HSPA+ to true 4G LTE and the difference is clearly noticeable. As said above, you won't want to go back (and you will like it)!

12. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

The fastest I've gotten on AT&T LTE was 69 down 17 up, probably faster than most people's wifi. Usually not that fast but still very fast with low latency. Not nearly as good in some areas I suspect, like NYC.