Is 4GB of Ram worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murc585, Jan 29, 2008.

1. murc585 macrumors regular

This weekend I am goign to an Apple Store and I;ve decided I want to purchase a new Macbook. I am buying the white model with superdrive and 1gb of ram. I am definately planning to upgrade the ram as soon as I get it. My question though is, do any of you think its worth it to get 4GB of ram or should i stick with buying a 2GB stick and leaving one if the originals in for a total of 2.5GB?

I used to own a powerbook G4 12" and it had 640gb of ram and at the time i felt it was quite limiting. My general use of the laptop will be office '08, i'll be using parallels with XP or vista(havn't decided yet), I use photoshop from time to time, ecode movies, used imovie sometimes...

For this kind of general use, do you think i should jsut go ahead and buy two 2gb sticks, will it make a difference for me? I havn;t used leo yet and I'm not familiar with how many resources it uses. I like my computer to respond well all the time and i'm nto very patient for when physical ram is used up. This is mostly a question to those of you who have 2gb and wish you had more. I was also curious, does loosing dual-channel really make that much a difference as well?

2. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

You can get 4gb of compatible ram from newegg.com for $80... At that price, I'll be buying 4gb whether I truly need it or not :)

4GB is worth it.. as long as you're not buying it from Apple

3. markdeman macrumors newbie

Yeah, i agree.
    It's better to buy 4GB now instead of buying 2GB and in a couple of years buying 4GB.
    The prices will probably be higher and you have to updgrade two times.

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I just ordered 4gig of RAM from Crucial. Paid a lot more cause I need it asap but I'm totally down with 4gig.

I think I'll go pick up a Macbook tomorrow or something, if I get bored.

5. Niko macrumors newbie

Although it really depends on what you are going to do, I would go ahead and say NO. Stick with a 2 GB ram and save yourself the extra money.
    As I post before, RAM isn't everything - it is just one part of a much larger processing cycle. All it can do is store commands, so the more RAM u have the more commands you can store at once. However, unless the rest of the computer can match up, the extra RAM will be useless as the 'slower' components will cause bottlenecks everywhere. This includes, Processor, cache, bus speed etc.

Besides, I have a macbook with 1 GB RAM, and I rarely have glitches. I think 2GB will be ideal.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

not quite sure what you need a macbook for if you already have a mbp as depicted in your sig..but ok

and if it's about size...the mbp is roughly half a pound more..not much of an issue..i bring my mbp to class to take notes on w/ no problem

7. Surely Guest

Surely

If you're planning on buying the RAM at the Apple Store, then no, it isn't worth it.
    If you buy it from newegg or crucial or memoryamerica.com, then it is very worth it.
    I upgraded to 4GB a week after I got my MacBook (I ordered it right away but had to wait for the delivery), and there was a noticeable performance difference, especially when I had multiple programs open and running.

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If you are referring to me it will be strictly for work. And seeing how my job has me travel 95% of the time I didn't want to take my MBP, rather a macbook for size. Weight isnt an issue.

And about the 4gig of RAM. I do a lot of VM work so thats why I require the 4gig.

9. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Actually NIKO, you're mistaken. Ram doesn't JUST store commands. It is a buffer for the more frequently used information, be it commands or data.

Also I have never heard of anybody refer to the computer's processing as a processing cycle.... anyways, none the less the RAM is here to remove a very important bottleneck, your hard drive.

You're conclusion that the processor, cache, and bus are the bottlenecks is once again wrong. The processor is by far the fastest piece of hardware in your system. It is almost never the bottleneck in a modern consumer computer. Same with the bus speed, and cache. In fact, the cache is on the order of 10x faster than your RAM.

So in short, don't listen to NIKO. The more RAM you have, the more the system can keep in it. This means it doesn't have to go into the hard drive as much, and will mean better performance for you when you have more applications open.

With the prices the way they are, you may as well use 4gb of RAM.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed x10. WTF is he talking about?

11. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

ah yes, i know very well the uses of ram, its just i have leaned toways windows lately and I havn;t use d anew mac ina while so i was curious if anybody ever reaches 2gb of ram used. The only time i use more than 2gb in vista is when I am running crysis. I don't live in the states so i can;t order frm newegg, but on ncix i can get 4gb for $80 anyways. I know very well nto to buy from apple, thats why i said i was buying the 1gb model. I guess i could pay the 80 dollars, but do any of you ever go over 2gb of ram usage??? I have 4gb of ram in my pc, and pretty much the only reason I got it was for crysis and the x64 versions seems to use a little more ram than the x86 version. If its actually worth the 40 dollars extra i guess it wou;dn;t be that bad, but if its not i;d rather stick to two. Thank you for the help.

12. esvee macrumors member

It all depends what you're using the computer for. If I'm running the usual gammut of firefox, pidgin, illustrator, indesign, photoshop, and bridge, having more than 2gb is almost crucial to keep things smooth.

If all you're doing is browsing the net, then no you won't need that much.

13. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

This is pure hogwash.
    Install 4GB.

14. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Here's my Usage pattern and I'm hitting over 2GB right now:
    Mail, iCal, Safari, Address Book, Preview, Textmate, iTunes and TaskPaper.

That's not to say the OS isn't memory efficient, but its likely to leave as many things in the memory as it can.

Definitely got for 4GB.

15. maryanny macrumors member

does anyone have the link for the 4gb from newegg? I'm looking now and see the cheapest as $94.

16. murc585 thread starter macrumors regular

17. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

I just want to be clear, there's NO performance difference or any other major difference between the Apple ram and the $80 ram?

18. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it's basically the same thing

just apple puts their sticker on it..

APPLE DOES NOT MANUFACTURE RAM!

19. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

The only real difference is that RAM you buy through Apple is covered through AppleCare. If you add in RAM yourself the new RAM isn't covered by AppleCare.

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

yes

instead it has a warrenty from the manufacturer..usually a lifetime warrenty

21. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

you can't tell me that THAT is worth 620 dollars more than what I get off newegg :rolleyes:

22. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

i noticed no difference at all with 2.5gb vs. 4gb. everything was a bit more smooth when i went from 1gb to 2.5gb, but it stayed the same when i bumped up to 4gb. it's okay though; the 2gb stick was only like $38.

23. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

There have been many posts on this and I followed what most people said here and just got 4GB right away. I ran my Macbook with the stock 1GB for a little while to make sure it was OK and did the initial setup and got the Leopard updates. Once I was confident it was fine, I shut down, popped the battery and carefully installed 2x2GB modules.

24. harrymohan macrumors member

I just recieved Powerbook G4 1.33 Ghz 17" with 512 MB Ram, I think performance is comparable to my macbook specs in my sign.

25. Derbus macrumors newbie

Derbus

Wait a minute

So WHERE exactly is the best place to get my 4GBs of RAM? Crucial, OCW, NewEgg etc? Sorry, new at this...

Or is memory just memory?