Is 4K or 5K worth it?

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I'm looking at purchasing a monitor to put with my MBP for a desktop solution, and Cyber Monday has some excellent deals. However, I've noticed that Apple's iMacs (aside from the base 21" model) all seem to be 4K models. Is the extra money worth it?

Alternatively, what are the thoughts on using a television as a monitor? Is that a viable option?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Really, "it's up to your eyes".

Only YOU can decide whether 4k is "worth the money" (and that will probably be AFTER you've gone out and bought one).

I'm almost 70, and my eyes aren't what they used to be.
I don't really perceive all that much difference between my old 2010 MBP (non-retina display) and my 2015 MBP (retina display).
Yes, the new one "looks a little better", but "the difference" is not really all that much to me any longer, due to aging.

I currently use a 27" 1080p display, and it "looks good enough to me".
Others (mostly younger) will howl that that a display of that size and resolution is "too grainy". Not me.

If you're going for a 27" display, the difference in pricing between 4k and 1080p displays isn't all that great any more.
You might just spend a little more, get 4k, and be done with it.

My next display will probably be 32", 1440p.
The pixel size will be smaller than what I use now, but hopefully still usable and readable to me...

Reactions: Porterhouse

tortoise944

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I like space over resolution for my monitor. I used to run dual monitors, but now I love my Dell 34" curved displays... hated curved TVs, but I think wide curved monitors are perfect.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-34-curved-ultrawide-monitor-u3415w/apd/210-adtr/monitors-monitor-accessories

I use this one at work and at home. Hooked up at work to my Lenovo ThinkPad (required work PC) and my Mac Pro at home. Its not a perfect Mac monitor, as its optimized for PCs but it works and looks great.

Reactions: Porterhouse

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
USA
I've got a triple monitor setup at work, running off my Windows-based machine. (It sounds impressive, but essentially we had a few monitors lying around and I just hooked them together.)

At home, I like it to be nicer. However, I just spent a lot of money on an iPad Pro, so it might have to wait until the next sales cycle.