Is 5.5" the Biggest It's Going to Get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 14, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Back when the iPhone 5 was released, it felt huge compared to the extremely tiny 3.5" display but now of course we've grown accustom to this size. So, then is 5.5" the biggest it's going to get? I honestly believe it's not and that customers will want more in a few years, although I have an idea of how they could fit a bigger display into a pocketable design. 5.5" may very likely be the biggest option for 5-6 years though.

3.5" felt satisfactory for a while, and customers will tire of a minuscule 5.5" eventually too.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If you get into the 6 inch territory it's:

- Basically a tablet
    - Not going to fit in many pockets

Smartphone size is increasing basically because they're running out of ways to innovate, as the smartphone platform starts to plateau.

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

This is true. I don't see anything much larger than 5.5 in the future because of pants size. My 3DS barely squeezes in there with the thickness, I'm very sure I wouldn't buy any bigger for an iPhone.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't see it getting bigger then 5.5 for a while. A long while

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If you have a watch and an iPad, that should be enough.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

7. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

I believe the consideration given to these two sizes are very deliberate. The physical screen footprint will remain the same for many years, with a new goal of reducing the overall form factor… smaller bezels, thinner profile all while maintaining symmetry.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

9. robostig macrumors member

I would say the overall size of the phone will not change for a while, but the screen size will, once they've had a chance to shrink the bezels.

Please god shrink the bezels!!

10. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Had it, it was pretty much the best phone i have ever had other than a few WP8 quirks that really bugged me, those are all fixed now with WP8.1. If i don't end up liking the Iphone 6 plus i will probably switching over the second gen 1520 whenever that is released.

The phone fit in the pocket pretty easily as well...unless your the type of person that wears skinny jeans you should not have any problems.

11. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Until they can put touch ID in the screen itself, don't expect those bezels to shrink.

PS

They make handling the phone in landscape much easier.

12. Avarize macrumors member

Personally I am hoping we settle into 5.2(3?) with a slimmed down bezel.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I was playing with that phone at the AT&T store and dang! I had a serious case of screen envy. The screen was GORGEOUS, I'm not a fan of Windows tiles but that UI was smooth and fluid, and the screen! Did I mention the screen?

Yeah, I would fit it in my pocket if I had to. Unfortunately I'm a iOS prisoner. At least I can now get close to that Lumia screen.

14. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I'm hoping they can achieve that by 2016, which is when we're due for another shift in physical format. I don't think it's entirely out of reach. They can still have bezels, they just need to be a lot smaller.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

That's what she said *rimshot*

16. Avarize macrumors member

Was waiting for it. Touché.

17. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

I think long term the phone screen could grow simply because a smaller outer shell, but the footprint is unlikely to change. Going back to 2007 I waited 12 hours to get the first iPhone. I waited in line with my trusty Treo Smartphone. Look how much has changed since that day. I suspect the smartphone will yet change again. Sooner than later.

18. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Not so long as competitors are hovering around/just above 5.5". In 2010 we all thought 3.5" would be the "biggest it's going to get" because no one had dared to go significantly higher yet. That was the average screen size at the time; times have changed and they may change again.

19. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think it can go to 6", like the Lumia 1520. 7" and you are in tablet territory. 6-7" that's phablet territory. 5.5"? That's just a big phone.

21. maybeiloveyou macrumors member

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

At some point they will have to make my dream phone.

Front is all screen.

At this point focus should be on bezel. Make it disappear.

23. xxray macrumors 6502a

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

They have pills for that... :D