Is 500mb enough for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Sep 7, 2010.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I'm about to upgrade to an iphone4 and the package only allows 500mb of Internet use per month.

A typical day of usage for me would be:

-to send between 10-20 emails and Receive between 10-20 emails.
    -check facebook 3-5 times a day
    -forums like macforums and apple discussions
    -probably watch a couple of YouTube music videos whilst on a break during work
    -check the news weather and sport on BBC.co.

This is probably the average, I may use it more if I'm really bored on the bus or at work.
    Will I go over 500mb?

Also will apps like whatsapp ping msn messenger run down Internet usage?
    -

2. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

If it weren't for the YouTube videos, I'd say, no you would'nt go over 500MB. But streaming video adds up really fast (I've used 3.5 GB this month so far, basically from Netflix).

Based on the usage estimation you've provided here, the AT&T Data Calculator says you'll use around 0.63GB/month or around 650MB/month.

This is based on 30 emails sent/received, 30 pages visited, and 8 minutes of streaming video per day. Of course this is just an estimate. Results may vary based on what websites your visiting and how heavy the emails are.

Also, though not taken into account in the estimate, Ping and messenger clients will use data.

You can play with the calculator and that will give you a reasonable estimate.

Hope this helped!

3. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I think you'll be good with everything but youtube. I've used mine how i please, but I have wifi at home and school and I've only done 90MB in the past like 23 days. My first month i went on vacation for a week and used like 500MB in that week, doing facebook, FML, and youtube (along with some safari and google). I'm going to the 250MB plan next month because i don't see my data usage doubling anytime soon, and if I did, there's no penalty for switching to 2GB. it doesn't look like you're in the US though, so I guess that doesn't really matter.

4. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Had a bad experience with YouTube using 3g...
    and let me tell you this 200mb is not for me when it comes to YouTube.
    Since i'm a Tuber. I have to be updated with friends and new videos...
    Let me tell you. night i got home from my girlfriends house. i received a text message from at&t that i went over 200, and they automatically charge you $15 for another 200mb.
    So with that. In a few months. I'm upgrading to 2GB data.

it's $10 difference soo it's alright.

to answer your question in short term

Without using YouTube... Emails facebook IM, and etc.. (no streaming videos) you'll be fine with 500MB