Is 50i better than 25p?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tcgjeukens, Mar 4, 2008.

1. tcgjeukens macrumors regular

tcgjeukens

Question: Is 50i better than 25p? (resp 60i better than 30p)

A couple of days back I started a thread asking What 1080p camera's are available?

Shooting scenes containing pan-movements with my HDV 1080i camera* produces artifacts:
    - horizontal pan: vertical lines are jarred/ have saw-tooth edges
    - vertical pan: horizontal lines jitter up/down (they seem alive)

Knowing 50i is 50 "half frames**" per second, my logic says 25p - 25 "full frames" per second does give a better result ... a result with less artifacts.

Q: Is this true?
    Q: Is it true that de-interlacing 50i material gives a worse result than shooting 25p native?

Coen Jeukens

(*) Sony HDR HC7
    (**) Though the capture rate of 50i is twice of 25p, with movement each half frame captures displacement ... and thus the two half frames together constitute blurred frame.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you really didn't need to start a new thread.... this is just a continuation of the other one. *Mods do what you will*

that being said:

25p/30p will not have the jaggies as you say it, but when panning/tilting it will "strobe" if you don't slow the movement down.

de-interlacing 50i just creates a low-resolution version of 25p.

as for 2 fields creating a "blurred frame", I'm not quite sure you're getting what interlacing is. Each frame is not meant to be shown as a whole, each field is shown in succession. That's why if you actually looked at the footage on a production monitor, you wouldn't see the jagged lines.