Is 64GB Model Targeting For People Who Wants Games?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TruePS4WiiUFan, Nov 7, 2015.

1. TruePS4WiiUFan macrumors newbie

TruePS4WiiUFan

Or for people who wants more Apps on it? So, who is Apple targeting 64GB model for?

Is 32GB model good enough for more Apps. I am not interested in games, unless Square-Enix or Konami or Nintendo or Sony plans to put their apps on Apple TV 2015, then I may change my mind going from 32GB model to 64GB model...

But for now, 32GB model is enough for now till next year, right?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 32GB model is most likely fine for most people. I have a few games and app downloaded, and I'm only using a tiny fraction of the available storage.

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

There are many threads already about this topic. Search for "app thinning" to see the best responses.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I didn't buy the Apple TV specifically for games. I have my games consoles for that. Having said that I still got the 64GB model but that's just the way I am. Both my iPhone and iPad are 128GB models. As you can't expand the storage capacity on these devices I rather get as much as I can regardless of whether I'm going to need it or not.

5. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Is there even a way to check how much storage is available and how much is used? I didn't think there was.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got the 64GB model because I have never been able to gauge storage usage on iOS devices. For an extra $50, give me more storage.

7. MrTemple macrumors regular

Same. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

And that $50 over the length of time I'll own it is peanuts. Even if I sell it in a year (and even assuming zero increased resale value), that's under $0.14 a day for that unused storage I have but didn't need.

And comparing that to the pain of regret I'd personally feel if I ever ran out of space? For me, it's a no-brainer. And this counts double considering the ATV's app-thinning. I likely would never run out of space, but if I was getting close, it would be playing a constant swap game with the cloud.

When you get close to filling it, you'd get frequent delays as content is re-downloaded. For me, the 'cost' of each one of those delays, delays which I knew were a result of my going with the 32GB would *very* quickly add up to $50.

The platform is brand new, and nobody can say how much storage might be needed. It's all speculation right now. However, I definitely can know for certain that $50 is worth it to me, even if it's only an unused 'insurance' against the regret of getting the smaller size.

8. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Please please tell me you're exaggerating for fun. Right?

"Pain of regret"?

9. MrTemple macrumors regular

"There are two types of pain you will go through in life, the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tonnes."

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's spending two years with a 16GB iPhone 4s because you thought oh, you could save $100. That won't fill up quickly at all.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

The iPhone you are able to consciously and knowingly load up with media - different story on the ATV. The jury will be out on the usefulness of extra storage for quite a while.

Normally I'd say $50 more isn't much, but that's a large increase on a $150 item, which potentially could be a complete waste.

It's a valid concern for many people I'd say.

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Really the main benefit the extra storage is going to offer, for the foreseeable future at least, is that you'll be downloading assets less often if you load it chock full of games.

Most normal apps and even quite a lot of games aren't going to approach the initial 200MB limit, so won't need to be re-downloading anything at any point.

Whichever one you go for the chances of actually running out of space for the average user are slim. TvOS is designed for that not to happen, it'll write over the extended storage of apps before it does.

With the emphasis on streaming as opposed to storing media, the only way to actually fill up the storage to a point of being properly, completely full, is to load it up with apps that are 200MB or less. And worst case scenario in that situation is at least 150 apps.

So a likely sensible estimation is probably if you think you're likely to want to have at least , say 100 to be safe, apps installed at any one time I'd go for the 64.

13. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Apple may yet add features that we currently don't know of that might use that storage too. I bought the 64 just to be safe.

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Always the best option if you can. Doesn't matter if it's storage space, memory in a computer or a lovely big cream cake :D the more you have the better, it's the safest option as you don't know what the future holds.

That's not to say you can't manage perfectly well with a smaller amount. Just that you have more room to grow with. None of us can predict what will happen. But it's just as with iPhones or iPads. Apple makes a smaller size knowing full well what they have planned and if the system will handle it. They also know that for light users a smaller amount of storage space will be perfectly adequate.

For instance I've amassed more than 15 terabytes of storage space between music, films, photos, a huge amount of assets for my work and backups of all kinds. My dad has yet to fill even half of his 320GB hard drive. We all have different needs.

15. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Yeah, I decided to get the 64 as it really isn't much more cost wise than the 32 and I don't think Apple will be doing yearly hardware refreshes with the ATV.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I bought an app that shows my usage.

One day it was 5GB, today it was down to 2GB so I guess it got rid of some stuff it had cached.

I have put quite a few apps though and to have used only 2GB isn't bad at all.

17. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

That's not how App thinning works.

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

That's the thing with TvOS, it's very unconventional when it comes to storage and it's in a constant state of flux.

The logic we've all been used to of, oh how much space do I have left, is basically thrown out of the window. It makes it nigh on impossible to accurately gauge how much real storage space you have left as what's reported by the system isn't actually what it considers to be free space.

I'm just going to use mine and not think about it, in the unlikely event I ever do get the storage almost actually full, it'll tell me.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It's exactly how it works. App thinning only uses the resources that are applicable to the device the app runs on. As opposed to the way it used to be when we got all assets regardless of the system.

If an app uses less space than the 200MB initial download and doesn't require any extra assets, the space it requires is both fixed and won't be overwritten by the system.

Only additional assets that an app requires, which are out with the 200MB limit and downloaded post install are considered by the system to be temporary files regardless.

The game I'm working on is less than 200MB in total, requiring no additional assets to be downloaded. The game in its entirety is installed onto the Apple TV.

20. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My understanding is that the initial download is 200mb but can load an addition 2gb for a total of 2.2gb. If that App needs more it will swap out part of the 2.2gb to allow more of the game to load. So pretty confused about the 5GB size but not the 2gb size. Would you mind sharing the name of the App? Have not seen any where near that size.

21. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You can check the size of each App and also delete it in the section "Manage Storage". However, for some stupid reason there is no Totals. But I did see an App in the App store for .99 that will show the totals. Saw another that will show more then just that but cost even more. Remember the old saying "there is an app for that"? Still true.....

22. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Correct. Each app can also request up to 20GB of data (after the 2.2GB) from the cloud if it needs it. If tvOS does not have the space to run an app it will start deleting other data, and there is no way for user intervention.

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

ATV5 w/ A9 chips & 128GB in late 2016 ;)

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It was 99 cents and "System Status" or something to that affect. At least last week, it was one of the top paid apps, though I have to worn you, it may not be worth 99 cents, I did like the ability to keep checking how much storage it (the ATV) is using.