Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Verizon Wireless is offering iPhone X's for $400 off so I'm seriously considering upgrading from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X. I'm not upgrading because I have any burning desire to own an iPhone X. I'm only upgrading because the discount is steep, the deal doesn't require a trade in, and my wife could really benefit from getting my iPhone 7 to replace her old and slow iPhone 4s.

After owning my iPhone 7 for over 2 years, I've only used about 45GB in storage. I'm pretty good about file management. If I spend a little more time doing some extra cleanup, I can easily pare it down to about 40GB.

Does anyone out there think 64GB on an iPhone X is too little of storage space for my situation? Is there anything about the jump from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X that might result in me needing considerably more storage than I would need if I stayed with my iPhone 7?

I don't expect my usage pattern to change much, but I'm not so set in my ways that I can't envision that I wouldn't be drawn into relying on my phone more than I do now if there were some features that were compelling enough. I'm hoping those of you who've made this transition can offer me some insight into how it went for you.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Verizon Wireless is offering iPhone X's for $400 off so I'm seriously considering upgrading from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X. I'm not upgrading because I have any burning desire to own an iPhone X. I'm only upgrading because the discount is steep, the deal doesn't require a trade in, and my wife could really benefit from getting my iPhone 7 to replace her old and slow iPhone 4s.

After owning my iPhone 7 for over 2 years, I've only used about 45GB in storage. I'm pretty good about file management. If I spend a little more time doing some extra cleanup, I can easily pare it down to about 40GB.

Does anyone out there think 64GB on an iPhone X is too little of storage space for my situation? Is there anything about the jump from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X that might result in me needing considerably more storage than I would need if I stayed with my iPhone 7?

I don't expect my usage pattern to change much, but I'm not so set in my ways that I can't envision that I wouldn't be drawn into relying on my phone more than I do now if there were some features that were compelling enough. I'm hoping those of you who've made this transition can offer me some insight into how it went for you.

I'd do it. Seems like you will be fine on storage if you've only used 45 gig in past two years with your 7. I am tempted to return my Xr tomorrow to Verizon ( still in return window) and pick up a X for that price.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I am tempted to return my Xr tomorrow to Verizon ( still in return window) and pick up a X for that price.

Indeed. I had every intention of waiting another 1 to 2 years before upgrading again, but if I can get an X for only $499 without trading in my iPhone 7, it's almost foolish to say no, especially when my old device can go to someone who needs an upgrade.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The next step is only $50 more, go for 128gb.

There isn't a 128GB option anymore. If I could bump up to 128GB for only $50 more, I'd do it. I expect 64GB to be a little close for comfort, but doable (unless there's something I'm not accounting for).

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
The only reason I went for the 256gb is because I hate deleting stuff, in case you're used to having your photos in icloud, don't work with iMovie that much and have a music library below 10gb, you're going to be fine with 64gb.

lltghe

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
The only reason I went for the 256gb is because I hate deleting stuff, in case you're used to having your photos in icloud, don't work with iMovie that much and have a music library below 10gb, you're going to be fine with 64gb.

I think what allows me to keep my storage low is that I'm a serious photographer and often have a DSLR with me so I don't take that many photos with my phone. I probably will take more with my phone with the improved camera, but I can't possibly see it being my preferred camera.

I'm also a developer so it's rare for me to be without my laptop for very long I'm able to offload stuff more easily than most.

Yeah and there's that iCloud option or I could pare down my iTunes music to just stuff I actually listen to.
[doublepost=1542932851][/doublepost]
Unless you store massive amount of offline media, there is no reason to pick >64Gb.

Nope, that would be me! If I'm going to be doing extended media viewing, it's going to be on a bigger screen so my phone won't be storing any full length movies or anything like that.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For me, 64GB is the sweet spot for general use. I barely fill more than half of my 64GB 6S. Luckily Apple set 64GB as baseline storage for the new iPhones so I don't need to spend more than the baseline models. :)

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
For me, 64GB is the sweet spot for general use. I barely fill more than half of my 64GB 6S.

I'm pretty sure I can live on 64GB on an older iPhone. My question specifically regarded if with the additional capabilities of the iPhone X that I might regret only have 64GB because some features are more storage hungry than on older iPhones or if iPhone X users discovered they started using additional features that need more storage.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm pretty sure I can live on 64GB on an older iPhone. My question specifically regarded if with the additional capabilities of the iPhone X that I might regret only have 64GB because some features are more storage hungry than on older iPhones or if iPhone X users discovered they started using additional features that need more storage.
I can only speak on my usage. Majority of my storage goes to photos and videos I took. Iphone 7 onwards supports capturing HEVC videos and photos, I think storage usage will actually be less.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's a big upgrade from the 4s she's slumming with right now, which she doesn't even use as a phone. It's just used as an iPod. Her phone is actually an ancient flip phone with preloaded minutes. It costs about $40 a year and really it's about all she needs because she's at home most of the time (as am I). She actually didn't want to move on from her anicent flip phone, but it's using older wireless bands and those towers are probably starting to get scarce so her calls have gotten so bad it's almost useless to carry the phone around.

This seemed like a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. I get to push out my upgrade cycle by a few more years and she can finally get a modern smartphone.

Last edited by a moderator:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It's a big upgrade from the 4s she's slumming with right now, which she doesn't even use as a phone. It's just used as an iPod. Her phone is actually an ancient flip phone with preloaded minutes. It costs about $40 a year and really it's about all she needs because she's at home most of the time (as am I). She actually didn't want to move on from her anicent flip phone, but it's using older wireless bands and those towers are probably starting to get scarce so her calls have gotten so bad it's almost useless to carry the phone around.

This seemed like a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. I get to push out my upgrade cycle by a few more years and she can finally get a modern smartphone.

Agreed man. Many people don’t value smartphones and are content with what works. No latest and greatest.

Responding to the poster criticizing giving a phone to replace the 4.... It’s there relationship, no need to be condescending. I gave my dad my 7 plus phone back in 2017. His 6 was dying quickly (screen was sowing the back light, and also yellowing). I got an 8 plus with this upgrade. He was grateful cause he was looking for a used 6; he uses the 7 plus for everything. Content, games, music. I could have easily sold the 7 plus and got the 8 plus but choose to give it to him. And it was in excellent shape. Now it has a new battery and works just as new.

Just_iWorld

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2018
Hey Smirking,

Thanks for sharing this interesting price for iPhone X. Do you know by any chance that if you have to use Verizon plan in order to get that $400? In other words, will I be able to use this phone with other carriers?

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Thanks for sharing this interesting price for iPhone X. Do you know by any chance that if you have to use Verizon plan in order to get that $400? In other words, will I be able to use this phone with other carriers?

It's Verizon only. I don't think any carrier in their right mind is going to sell you a phone at that steep of a discount without asking for something back. It's worthwhile for me because I'm going to be on Verizon anyway. It's the only rock solid carrier in the area where I live.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
For whatever it’s worth, the $400 discount does apply to both the 64GB and 256GB sizes. So you’re really talking about if the cost of that additional storage is worth it to you.

Yup, you're absolutely right. It's $150 to gain the additional storage regardless of whether the base price is $499 or $899. If 64GB ends up not being enough, I guess I'll be putting that extra $150 I won't be spending toward extra iCloud storage. I guess that's not a bad safety net.
[doublepost=1542959898][/doublepost]Verizon is really going for broke this year! In addition to that $400 off on an iPhone X, you can get a $100 discount on a Cellular/Wi-Fi iPad if you buy it at the same time as a phone!

I just happen to be in a buying window to upgrade my iPad 4 too so I guess I'll get to take advantage of that deal too. They require a two year contract to get that deal so when you add up all the costs you'll have to pay out before you own the device, it ends up being around $379 before fees and taxes, which would be an $80 savings on the price of a 9'7" 6th generation Cellular / WiFi iPad.

FreddyKrueger

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
About music, did you know Google Play allows to store up 50.000 audio files (400Mb max each file) for free?
I have a huge collection that I love to carry with me always. I've uploaded all my music and I have 38.000 files (~300Gb)
I find this more useful than local storage: just upload new album to google play from computer and you instantly got it in all your devices.
Tip: don't upload all your huge music folder at once! first make sure all files you upload are properly tagged, otherwise you will get a lot of "untitled" tracks.
First time it request for your credit card, but it's just to check your country for legal issues, then you can remove it once youre in.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
About music, did you know Google Play allows to store up 50.000 audio files (400Mb max each file) for free?

Didn't know that, but I'm an iTunes Match subscriber so all of my music is also available to download at any time so if I get tight on storage, I can just offload songs I haven't listened to in a while. There's actually a feature in iOS that'll dump a percentage of your music if storage is starting to run low.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have a huge collection that I love to carry with me always. I've uploaded all my music and I have 38.000 files (~300Gb)
I find this more useful than local storage: just upload new album to google play from computer and you instantly got it in all your devices.
Tip: don't upload all your huge music folder at once! first make sure all files you upload are properly tagged, otherwise you will get a lot of "untitled" tracks.
First time it request for your credit card, but it's just to check your country for legal issues, then you can remove it once youre in.
Oh I’ve used that to have a second backup of my songs. I’ve found songs not on my computer but I was able to restore the copy from google music.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yowch! If you're thinking about jumping on this Verizon iPhone X special, don't dither. I could have placed my order last night, but I decided to sleep on it and by this morning it was backordered for shipping so I chose in-store pick up. I made an error while checking out so I had to restart my order, but by the time I rebuilt my order, I had to choose a farther store to pick it up at because the one I had chose last time ran out in the minutes it took me to get back to the checkout.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think 64 GB is enough, but it really depends on your storage considerations. I could easily survive on 32 GB if I wanted to, but I’m not A ‘Heavy user’ with third-party applications or other media either on my iPhone.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Mine is backordered until 1/11.

I just picked mine up. The Verizon guy told me they're completely zeroed out of all inventory nationwide. I really wanted to get this before the end of the year so I can take advantage of the $29 battery replacement on my iPhone 7. If it's no longer my active device, I can just mail it in and get it serviced that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.