Is 64GB too small for the 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by generalsmart, Oct 18, 2015.

1. generalsmart macrumors regular

If I'm going to buy the iPhone 6s Plus, with live photos and 4K video, is 64gb too small? Does one realistically need 128GB to be able to store the larger pics and videos that will be produced on a daily basis? How are people doing with 64gb on their 6s? Are you running into storage issues?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

64GB should be fine. You can always back up your media on your computer or use iCloud.

3. rosegxld macrumors newbie

rosegxld

Well, it depends on how you are planning on using your phone. If you plan on using the 4K feature aswell as live photos, 16GB is out of the question. Moving on. 3 minutes of 4K video takes up 1GB. And 1 live photo is 70% bigger than a still image. If you plan on using 4K full-time and live photos for every image, and you takes many pictures and videos, 128GB may be a smarter option for you. (Must consider apps, music, software, etc.) If you will enjoy the 4K/live photos features generously but not use them full-time, then 64GB will be an extremely healthy choice for you. Is it worth the $100 more for 128GB? Not unless you are buying this phone for the sole purpose of shooting 4K/live photos. Me, I'm going to be buying the iPhone 6s 64GB. I'm not gonna go overboard with 4K or live photos, but I wanna be prepared. You have to judge how you will use your phone. Again, 3 minutes of 4K video takes up 1GB. Remember, don't stress over this decision. You'll be happy. I hope I helped!! Good luck.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You'd have to be taking videos and photos all day long, be phobic of cloud storage and have no computer in order to use up 64GB (*unless you use your phone as an iPod).

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Depends on how much pictures you take and/ or how diligent you are in offloading your pictures. If you are an avid photographer or have a new baby and take tons of pics - go for the 128GB. If you are one of those people who still have their vacation pictures from 2010 on their phone - get the 128GB. If not, the 64GB is a good spot to be in.

6. AbsynthMinded, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

AbsynthMinded macrumors member

64 GB is enough IMO, that is what I use anyway. It would give the average user more than enough space to take all the photos and videos you want on any extended trip where you don't have access to a computer, memory hub, or cloud space (granted you aren't taking like 2 hours of 4K footage). Of course, if you are not bothered to remove media at some point or frequently enough I could see 128GB being useful to some.

Your milage may vary, such as if you are a huge audiophile with tons of lossless tracks or photographer/videographer(??) with plenty of photos/footage. I am the former myself and I have not had any issues, nor do I feel inconvenienced in any way.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We're at an interesting point with this phone since we are Often talking about 4K video. Even a 128gb phone can only handle a couple goes of video, assuming you've got nothing else on it, so it's tough for me to even make that argument; I don't feel 4K video is a terribly wise option on a phone without removable storage simply due to the sheer size of the videos.

So let's assume we aren't even talking about videos. Then64gb is going to be more than sufficient for most users eve if they have a very wide array of demands and tasks they use their phones for.

8. Daniel2514 macrumors newbie

Daniel2514

Of course 128gb if you take 4k video frequently. And live photo is twice as much as normal photo. I bought an iPhone 6s 64gb and tooke many live photos and my iPhone space is getting less and less. I used iMyfone Space Saver for iOS to compress my photo and saved much space. I doubted if compression will ruin the live photo but it doesn't. Live photo still works after compression.

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

64GB is still a very good option in 2015.
    But in the next couple of years the need for 128GB will be a lot higher.
    I really hope that the iPhone 8 SKUs will be 64/128/256GB

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

64 GB should be enough, though depends on your usage, I've been taking 4K videos during the rugby world cup and have 67GB free on my 128.

11. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

You must have a nice tv if your taking 4K videos. Who can justify 4K video unless your a professional

12. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

I don't have a 4K set yet. But someday we all will and it will be nice to have footage from 2015 in 4K.

13. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

There's nothing wrong with making sure your video looks as good as it possibly can for the future, especially if filming some pretty substantial memories like a family holiday or something. I for one will be filming everything in 4K, you never know what you'll want to see in the future. Oh how I wish my videos that I took in 2009 where in decent HD quality now...

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

got over 7000 pics and 3,6 GB of Spotify Music on my iPhone and still 37,9 GB remaining so 64 GB for me is plenty

15. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I'm three quarters full on my 128GB. I think it depends on the user.

16. Congo Javabase Resources macrumors newbie

I've never heard of that application before. I'll have to give it a try :)

17. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

What's eating all your space?

C

18. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

I have a lot of games, many of them ranging between 1 and 3.5 GB.

19. iNinja08 macrumors regular

iNinja08

You could live with 64gb but the 128gb is a much better value. I told myself I would be fine with 64gb and I could be but mainly because I couldn't find a 128gb in stock. I finally did and I'm glad I have the 128gb as I have been taking time lapse videos and live pictures non stop. Of course time lapse doesn't take up much space as a 5 hour record time results in a 40 second clip, I do plan to make some nice 4K productions and shouldn't have to worry about running out of space while on vacation.

20. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I've got probably 6 games on my phone, and the largest is < 200MB. My biggest apps are currently GarageBand, iMovie, and Keynote, none of which I've actually used. That's almost 2GB wasted right there. Just wiped them out, after finding that out... :)

It may increase your resale value, but not as much as you paid up front for it. So in other words, if you don't need it, don't bother upgrading it.

C

21. brentsg macrumors 68030

I'd say go with the largest you can afford if you're into something like digital comics, or if you plan to film much 4k video.

22. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

In response to the original post; I think 64GB is fine depending on usage. If you're using your phone as an iPod and have a lot of music like me then you may need 128GB or if you're a heavy mobile gamer as above then MAYBE you will need it too. Really the 128GB is still for people who have heavy use in a least one area, for everyone else, 64GB is fine.

23. Genkakuzai macrumors regular

64 GB is perfectly fine for me at least. I was doing quite alright with 32 GB to be honest, periodically transfering old photos to a computer.

24. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

A lot of my apps are games and apps I haven't opened yet either, but that's the reason I buy the top storage available for all my electronics, so I can keep stuff.

25. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I just don't have that much stuff I want to keep... Even though I have the space, I still prune out the apps I don't use regularly. If I haven't opened it up in a few months, it moves to the back pages. From there, the next step is to get rid of it. I can always download it again if I want to, but at that point, it probably wasn't of interest anyway.

To each their own, though... There's move than one way to skin an Apple.

C