Is 64GB worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 10, 2011.

1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I will be getting my first iPad on Friday and I was considering the top of the line 64GB WiFi + 3G model. After reading a bunch of posts on here, it seems that there is not a lot of love for the 64GB versions for several reasons (resale being the biggest one).

My question to all the current iPad users is: do you feel that 64GB is just too much? I have a 32GB iPhone 3GS & I have a ton of my music on it, but no movies. I would like to use my iPad for movies & TV shows, but don't really see the need for loading all my music on there if I have a lot on my iPhone. (For the record, I have nearly 1TB of music and movies combined, so I have no shortage of data to fill the space with.)

Aside from movies & music, does anyone really have a true need for 64GB of storage on an iPad? I still don't know if I am trying to talk myself into 64GB or out of it, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Depends what you are going to use it for. 16GB is too small for me. On my 32GB iPhone4 I already have close to 20GB on it without even trying. I want to put a large selection of our photos on the iPad so it is easy to look at and show family. With a nice quality camera, space can fill up quickly. Add some movies and music. So for me, I need at least 32GB if not the 64GB.

3. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

That's a great point. I never thought about photos. I have all of our photos stored online & I have been meaning to import them into iPhoto, but never did because I had no desire to put them all on my iPhone. Again, we have a ton of photos (Over 20 GB), so now that I am thinking about movies, music, AND photos, the 64 GB is seeming more attractive.

4. robertpetry macrumors 6502

I have about 4GB of my 64GB free. If you plan to have more than 10 movies and TV shows on it at a time plus apps, books, games, and some music you will be glad you had it.

I could have made it work with 32GB but I would have been swapping out TV shows and Movies a lot and I prefer to just put what I haven't seen on it and pick what I want to watch when I am ready to watch. With the 32 GB I would spend too much time choosing what to watch in advance.

JMHO.

5. rudy44 macrumors member

if you're lazy and just want to throw movie after movie after songs after books and comics in, YES

6. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

for me its worth it, im gone most of the time, so i have about 15 hd 720p movies on my ipad, which takes up about 32gb, 4-5 season of tv shows (10-15gb) and apps, then i have used my 64gb.

if you dont want to have media on the device (pictures, videos etc) 16gb is more the enough

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I have same dilemma, still debating between 32GB and 64GB. Only in my case, I won't have photos, movies, or videos. Most of the space will be occupied by music (13GB), apps and books. Do I need 64GB or am I better off with just 32GB? Ta.

8. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

That's pretty constructive feedback.

9. foodle macrumors 6502

My 64GB iPad 1.0 is full. I would get 128GB if it were available.

What's it full of? Videos.

I have better things to do than to constantly manage what goes on the iPad. If that's considered "lazy" then so be it.

10. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

If you only want to put 13GB of music and apps on there, the 32GB should be more than enough. I don't know how big some of the iPad apps can get, but it's pretty safe to say you won't need 19 GB of space for apps.

11. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Between home sharing, netflix, and pandora, I don't really feel the need for huge onboard memory anymore. I had a 64gb ipad 1. I'm replacing it with a 16gb 3g ipad 2.

12. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

This. Just remember for an extra $100 you gain 32GB of space going from 32GB to 64GB. As others always say, buy the fastest and most storage that you can afford. If you plan on selling this before iPad3 comes out, you might want to consider he 16GB as you will re-coup more of your money back. However I don't care about that since I will use the iPad2 until it dies.

13. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I suspect that I will be jumping on every model of iPad once its released so YES resale is an important issue.

I think that less people are interested in the 64GB based on price so I'm sticking with the 32GB model till Steve says "This is the last version of the iPad we will be releasing" :rolleyes:

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

First of all, resale won't be an issue if you don't wait for Apple to announce the next one. Sell it sometime in February and you'll be fine.

Secondly, if you jailbreak your iPad you can read a USB drive using the camera connection kit. $100 gets you something around 128GB right now so stick your videos on that.

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

In a sense it is...

Unless you have a need to have ALL your stuff on the ipad, then it's a question of cost of a higher capacity unit vs. the time/effort to manage what is stored there and eliminate movies/photos/etc that are no longer needed.

16. 9OOYO macrumors regular

It's funny b/c I never really pictured it as a movie viewing device so I was going for 16GB. I was just going for print and comics.

Now that I think about it, I should be utilizing this bad boy for its full functionality. I have alot of digital copies of movies I have not even put on my mac. It seems like this would be the perfect place for my son on a road trip.

17. tomandshell macrumors regular

By this logic: If you get a vehicle with a twenty gallon tank so you can go straight to your destination without having to stop at a gas station, you are lazy. If you get a ten gallon tank and have to pull over more often because of your limited fuel capacity, you are somehow not lazy.

18. blueselvedge macrumors newbie

thinking about picking up my forst tablet (still deciding between the xoom and ipad2). can you tell me more about the camera connection kit? do i need to install a cydia app? or os it just plug and play?

19. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm using 27GB of my 64gb on my current ipad, and I don't have anywhere near all of my photos on the device. When I had all of my photos on the ipad, it was well over 32gb. I'm not sure why I decided to unsync a bunch of stuff, but I'm getting the 64gb ipad 2 because I plan on loading it up since I'll be able to connect it to my HDTV via HDMI. With Airplay, I'll probably get an Apple TV, too. An extra $100 for twice the storage over 32gb is worth it to me and my budget.

20. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yes: I have a washer and dryer because I'm too lazy to hand wash my clothes and hang them outside on a clothes line to dry. Also, I have a remote control because I'm also too lazy to walk up to my TV to change the channel. :)

21. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

22. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts & responses. I think I have talked myself into the 32GB. Since this is my first iPad, I will see how well it works for me & if it is not enough, I will sell it & upgrade when the iPad 3 comes out next year. Of course, by that time, they will probably be up to 32/64/128

23. Maaz macrumors 6502a

why not get the biggest and best available, its just money. You can make money back, you cant add extra storage to the iPad if needed.

24. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

If "it's just money" how about you send me $850 to cover my new iPad :D

25. blueselvedge macrumors newbie

PAYPAL me $1000. its just money. you can make money back.