is 6hrs normal battery life w/ these conditions?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cfs, May 2, 2012.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Forum,

Just picked my myself up an iPad 3 32GB LTE. So much faster than my iPad 1, which I sold, I can't even believe it.

Anyway, I had it for about a week and out of the box I drained battery and fully recharged it (so far it has been drained and recharges twice). On the third full recharge I decided to check the battery and I streamed two movies through Crackle and then left the ipad screen on for the remainder of the time. My screen was on full brightness. My battery lasted 6hrs. given this use. Just trying to find out if 6hrs. with this use is normal given the Apple website reads "up to 9hrs."

Also, there were no other applications running in the background.

Thanks,

CFS

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Apple states 10 hours for video playback, but I doubt they mean with brightness at 100%. To me, 6 hours sounds about right streaming 2 movies and the brightness maxed out.

3. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Yes, this is normal at full brightness. Reducing the brightness to 60% can save a ton of battery.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

50% brightness will get you closer to 10 hours. I don't believe I've ever had a need to go higher than 50%.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Full brightness and streaming movies? Yeah, you're going to be really draining your battery life.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't know how some of you guys do full brightness. I can barely look at the screen in a dimly lit room on full brightness.

7. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Yeah, in a dimly lit room you wouldn't want full brightness, but when it's noon and you're sitting in a room with large windows in bright daylight you will need max brightness.

8. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The largest battery impact that you have control over is that Led backlight

9. Fynd macrumors 6502

This.

But, in general, there's not much reason to go beyond the 40-60% range. That will drastically alter your battery life.

10. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. Just checking to make sure battery life seemed on par.

As for what how brihgt someone would want it though, I say to each their own. I personally like full brightness in a dark room when watching a movie.

cfs

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Please just go and enjoy your new iPad instead of worrying about little things like these!

12. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not worrying. I just care about battery life. The yellow tint in the corner and the stuck pixel are of no big deal to me but checking on battery life is. :D

13. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

The automatic setting works fine for me in both scenarios, and the battery life is excellent :confused:

14. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Maybe some instruction is necessary on how to set brightness, because our eyes can adjust and make a variety of settings seem normal.

Put simply, set the brightness as low as you can handle it. In average conditions of interior lighting, such as an office or home, I'd start by dragging the sider to 1/3rd, with Automatic activated.

Then use the iPad, even if it instinctively seems a little dim. Can you still make everything out and read without any issues?

If not, increase the brightness a little. If everything is fine then you're good to go, and will maximise your iPad's battery life.

It's lovely to have a bright shining screen with full color saturation but that will kill battery life. Realistically, you need to have the screen as dim as you can handle it without eyestrain.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601