Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Ok, so you've shown some logic: apple has the work already done in making a full touch screen ipod.

But that doesn't mean anything. Here's my logic. If apple releases a $300 ipod with most of the coolness of the iPhone (let's say, full screen, video, coverflow, wifi, web, etc, no phone), then why would people buy the iPhone? I'm not going to buy the iPhone for over $200 more just because its a phone too. I can buy a Phone for a lot less than $200. It's logical to think that Apple will cripple the next iPods, make them less than they possibly can be, so that they don't compete with the iPhone. Even if the iPod doesnt have the web functionality, more than $200 difference (I say more than because of the contract) is way too much for me.

Come back with some manufacturing orders or some photos of devices being tested or some references in deep in some itunes update that proves it, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll see updates soon, just not web or phone, and maybe not even full touchscreen.

Yeah, I can see Apple crippling their best seller ever (iPod) for the iPhone.
An iPod with touchscreen/widescreen photos video, music only =/= iphone with web, music video touchscreen, email chat etc etc etc. The R&D gone into multitouch etc needs to be spread over "new bet" (iPhone) and a "dead cert" (iPod) to lessen the risk.

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
Right now I have a 2GB Nano. its almost completely full and i really need a bigger iPod. The problem is that i don't know when the 6th gen iPod is going to be released. If the 6th is going to be released during the summer or in WWDC then i can hang on and wait. If not then I ill probably have full iPod for a while. If it is going to be released later on in the year, is it worth waiting for?:confused:

Same situation, 1st Gen iPod Nano. I'm holding out, I recently replaced, the screen front panel and battery in it. So it's holding out for the time being.
I filled my iPod ages ago. I have a 12GB Library. (too many ripped movies & TV shows!)It breaks down to about 6GB Music 2GB Podcasts and 4GB Movies, TV shows & Music Videos.
The point being I'm waiting on a 6G iPod if it has multi-touch or something else revolutionary.

Unless you ~really~ want video capability which isn't even guarenteed just get one now, or just get an old 4g ipod from ebay on the cheap to tide you over.

You must be kidding! Not guaranteed? Only if Apple plan to crash and burn. But then I suppose that really would be going with their slogan "Think Different, Have no customers"

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I'd say so. I've got an iPod Photo 60gb that I've been just itching to upgrade, but nothing significant enough has come out for me to spend the money. I'm hoping 6G will be like an iPhone, only without the phone and greater capacity. If that's the case, then I'm sold.

You've been itching? I'm still on my 1st gen 10gig. Literally had to give it CPR and slam it into the ground to keep it running. My drive is toasted. Makes funny sound whenever I plug it in to the charger or computer. Just gotta hold out a little longer. :(

AppleMan101

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Ok,
Im a 15 year old, A*/+ (depending upon where in the world you come from) business stuides student. I have done 2 pieces of my GCSE coursework on Apple and the iPod and its blaitantly obviouse that the 6th Generation iPod will feature a multi-touch widescreen screen. I mean think about it. Apple has already achieved this with the iPhone along with full screen videos and widescreen iPod capabilities. Apple is bound to incorporate these into the 6th Generation iPod.

Now, im 15, and even I can tell that, so stop umming and ahhhing... its sooo unbelievably obvious!:D

It's a shame you didn't learn how to spell for your GCSEs, and please remember that GCSEs are worth jack.

Back on topic; Apple are indeed a long time "overdue" for the next generation of iPod, I'm quite interested to see what they can pull out of their collective sleeves. I have two dead iPods (1st gen. Shuffle and a 4th gen. 20GB) on my hands and have resorted to recording music onto cassettes for the car, very 90s I know. I think I can put up with it until the Autumn, so I hope the new ones will have started shipping by then.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Ok, so you've shown some logic: apple has the work already done in making a full touch screen ipod.

But that doesn't mean anything. Here's my logic. If apple releases a $300 ipod with most of the coolness of the iPhone (let's say, full screen, video, coverflow, wifi, web, etc, no phone), then why would people buy the iPhone? I'm not going to buy the iPhone for over $200 more just because its a phone too. I can buy a Phone for a lot less than $200. It's logical to think that Apple will cripple the next iPods, make them less than they possibly can be, so that they don't compete with the iPhone. Even if the iPod doesnt have the web functionality, more than $200 difference (I say more than because of the contract) is way too much for me.

Come back with some manufacturing orders or some photos of devices being tested or some references in deep in some itunes update that proves it, otherwise I'm not holding my breath. I think we'll see updates soon, just not web or phone, and maybe not even full touchscreen.

Exactly...the iPhone is $500-600. The iPod is $250-350. That's a big difference. I don't think people are going to want their iPod prices jacked up again.

The only plausible scenario I see is some iphone technology coming to the iPod, but the two remain distinct enough that Apple doesn't cannibalize their own sales. Still...I can't imagine what that iPod would like. One you put the big screen and the multitouch onto the ipod...the iphone doesn't seem to add much. Unless the iphone is restricted to run fewer applications or something like that -- but that doesn't sound like Apple's style.

It's really confusing. I wish I had a better idea what they were going to do. I want a new iPod since my last 5G got stolen, but I'm not sure I want to shell out for a 5.5 if a 6 is around the corner.

bottleddissent

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
Portland, OR
my guess is 6th gen iPod in november (before christmas season)

But has apple ever released a product right in time for Christmas? Macworld is right after christmas and it's always (to me) seemed that only the mac elite (us) are smart enough to know to wait for that. It screwed me over once, but it never will again...

PSPFourLife

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2007
If you need a new iPod now, just go ahead and get it. I was kind of "blah" back in March when I bought my very first iPod. I thought I should wait and that there was some sort of announcement coming out. Well, nothing happened. So, I went ahead and bought it. I'm very happy with my purchase. I've never had a problem with my iPod.

So, I say just go ahead and buy a new iPod. It's pointless to wait when you already like what you've been given (since you already have a 2GB, you know how a new one will be).

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
If you need a new iPod now, just go ahead and get it. I was kind of "blah" back in March when I bought my very first iPod. I thought I should wait and that there was some sort of announcement coming out. Well, nothing happened. So, I went ahead and bought it. I'm very happy with my purchase. I've never had a problem with my iPod.

So, I say just go ahead and buy a new iPod. It's pointless to wait when you already like what you've been given (since you already have a 2GB, you know how a new one will be).

I agree but its just that I always get something before its replaced and I want to have something that just came out for once. When I got my 1st gen nano, shortly after the new color ones were released. I dont want that to happen again.

mcoe19

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
UK
I reckon it wont have any extra features to what it has now. It'll be same as the iPod section of the iPhone. No other features but bigger capacity, maybe still flash though to save battery

arcadehj2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2007
what most are saying right now is that apple has the potential to make an iphone-like ipod, but because of the competition there might be between the iphone and ipod, theyre gonna hold back. I agree that theyre gonna hold back but not that much. apple isnt going to be willing to let ipod sales drop just so that they can get a few more iphones sold.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Just one quick simple question, what are the chances of it being released on monday?

Mmm...I think its about 50/50...

Remember that outside of the US, the iPhone won't come for a while, and so us UKers will have been stuck with the same stuff for a LONG time...

dominicansrul93

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Just one quick simple question, what are the chances of it being released on monday?

Now not only I want in on monday. My friends sister's iPod nano(1st Gen) broke. She needs it before wednesday of next week because she is going to the Dominican Republic until the end of summer. If its not released on monday shes going to have to get a current video.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Mmm...I think its about 50/50...

Remember that outside of the US, the iPhone won't come for a while, and so us UKers will have been stuck with the same stuff for a LONG time...

i'd say much less than 50/50...

Let's be realistic here for a minute. Apple just started the College-iPod freebie and/or discount thing which carries through the summer. Many people likely upgrade to get merely a discount of a fullsize iPod. This means that Apple can sell off a lot of the remaining stock they have of iPod 5th gens that didn't sell. That is very beneficial to reducing stock so i don't think Apple would pass that up. Also considering the new iPods were released last September (i think), they may release a similar time frame yet again.

While i'd love a new iPod Monday, especially since i NEED one, i just don't see a 6th gen release until Summer's end :(

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I really hope it comes out on Monday, but we all kow thats probably not going to happen because it will take away from iPhone hype. Although, the laptops were just updated, the iMacs are said to probably be updated sometime after, and we've already seen most of leopard so I dont know what Steve is going to do for 1.5 hours.

Hopefully sometime this summer. My Nano broke and my parents said that I could order a new iPod so I decided to wait. Im ordering it the second it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.