Is 700 songs too little for Genius?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fake1009, Sep 12, 2008.

1. fake1009 macrumors member

So like the title said I have about 700 songs on my ipod but every time i press the genius button on my touch it says, "This song does not have enough related songs to create a genius playlist." The songs on my ipod are identical to the ones in my itunes library yet my library can create a genius playlist while my ipod can't. My songs are are tagged correctly and the genres are all similar. I even tried the dragging a genius playlist onto my ipod like somebody said but I still can't create a genius playlist.

Advice is much appreciated as genius playlists are the highlight of 2.1

2. drmario macrumors member

I think genius is just a little screwy right now. I have a library with 1,847 songs and I can't make a genius playlist with half or them.

3. njguyfla macrumors member

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I have the same number of songs (about) and have problems with Genius in iTunes also. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. It seems completely random. I haven't updated my iPod yet with the new firmware, so I'm not sure if it'll work on there either.

5. pooryou macrumors 65816

For some reason Apple put Genius on my iPhone, where I only have 8GB of storage and most of the time it says 'not enough songs to make a playlist' because not enough songs fit on the device.

But apparently, my 160GB iPod Classic, which is a NEWER RELEASE than the iPhone, is NOT going to get this feature even though the new gimped Classic is. With the kicker being, the Classic actually has enough music on it to take full advantage of the feature.

How does that make any #)%(*& sense?

6. fake1009 thread starter macrumors member

oh yeah i would like to emphasize that my library on my computer is the same as the library on my touch. So there is no reason for genius to be able to create a list on my computer and not my touch.

7. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I only have 431 songs on my iPod (I use Apple LossLess), and Genius works great for me.

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I have 128 songs and it works. The error message you are getting happens when your song isn't tagged correctly (same name, artist, and album as the iTunes Store).

So yeah, it works with as little as 128 songs! Woot, woot! :eek:

9. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Genius is still new. Give it time, like steve said the more and more people that use it the more smarter it gets...

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

I have about 1300 songs which are all fully tagged as most of them were purchased through iTunes. Genius works fine for me. If they're not fully tagged, though, I can see why some problems might arise.

11. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

they said there will be an update for the old ones too

12. Impulse29 macrumors member

I have about 700 songs on my iPod touch too and it works perfectly. That said, my main music library (I have 35 000 songs) is even nicer :)

13. archi17 macrumors regular

I have 1000 songs and it works great. The only song that i have found that doesn't work is some 20 second introduction song at the start of an album.

14. pooryou macrumors 65816

Which was supposedly retracted. However I still expect the Classic update.

15. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I have about 1,700 songs and it works great for me. I haven't been able to get it to work for any French pop music though.

16. Amt macrumors regular

I only have 151 on at the moment, and it works fine.

17. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

yea, i only have 300 and its fine. although probably 250 of them were purchased from itunes.

18. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

The iPod classic will be getting a firmware update in the near future, adding that feature.

I don't know why everyone's having so much trouble with the Genius feature. I have 741 songs and every time on my iPod and iTunes it's worked.

19. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Could it be that your songs aren't titled exactly as they are on Itunes? I can see this happening if they were ripped from CDs and never titled correctly.

BTW I just wanted to say that I'm completely shocked at how many songs some of you have. I have less than 60. I can't imagine having 1700 songs, or even knowing 1700 songs.:eek:

20. M. Poirot macrumors member

It will improve

If you remember from Steve's keynote, he said that as info about libraries, ratings for tracks and folks playlists is uploaded to the Genius servers-the weekly genius updates to your individual iTunes library will improve thereby giving more/better genius playlists.
    Genius is working for part of most people libraries. The reason it doesn't work for the rest is that the Genius servers haven't assimilated any data on those tracks yet. Once that info is fed back to the Genius servers from the many many users out there, genius will improve and push that data back each week as things improve.

21. pooryou macrumors 65816

Do you have a source for that? I really hope it's true.