Is 750M there only to serve Adobe users?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcconvert, Dec 4, 2014.

1. pcconvert macrumors member

I recently bought 2.8gHz 2014 rMBP15 with 750M and run a few tests which got me thinking - with Apple's apps relying more and more on OpenCL what's the point of having dGPU with pathetic OpenCL performance (150 vs 600 Luxmark score 750M vs IrisPro)? Never mind kids gaming but the only reason I came up with was Cuda support for Adobe users. But with Adobe steering towards OpenCL support are we going to see some shift in dGPU choice? Or perhaps abolishing dGPU altogether in favor of some OpenCL coprocessor?

2. leman macrumors 604

The 750M is slower for some computational problems and faster for others. Basing a GPU's compute ability on Luxmark alone is like judging a car's performance by the size of its trunk. For instance, the 750M will be usually faster than the Iris Pro for tasks that involve fairly simple, repetitive operations on large data sets, for example image or video processing — no matter if these are coded in CUDA, OpenCL or anything else.

But I agree with you that the main strength of the dGPU that really gets it aside is probably gaming. Not that I see what that has to do with kids.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Gaming, rendering, etc, will all use the dGPU.

Personally, I notice a quite significant performance boost for some things when using Photoshop on the dGPU.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I think we'll see a jump in dGPU. The gt750m is a dated chip that's basically an overclocked gt650m which was in the original rMBP.

If you compare the gt750m to to something like the gtx870m that's in the razer blade 14", the later typically providing 3x the performance.

However, those dGPU are much more power hungry. I wouldn't be surprised to see nice performance gains in the next rMBP with the next gen Intel processor and with nVidia shaking things around as well.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Your question is kind of silly. The 750M is faster in every metric except for a few isolated cases relating to opencl. Being faster than the Iris Pro is a feature that some people are willing to pay for. In addition, having 2gb of fast dedicated vram means that you are essentially saving 2gb of system ram for other tasks.