Is $775 too much?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cnybud, May 24, 2007.

1. cnybud macrumors member

cnybud

I have the money and can spend it and my wife actually wants this computer as well (I wanted an older G4 but whatever).

Anyway it is a Blackbook 2Ghz (1st gen) with 80GB hard drive and 512MB of ram. Is in warranty until October of this year (then i can extend it). They wanted $850 I talked him down to $775, but I want to make sure it is a good deal before I pull the trigger. Thanks

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think it's a good deal. have you seen it for yourself, though?

3. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

its a good deal but after the applecare is over you cant renew, you need to add more before the warranty is up in october

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It could use some more ram but I'd jump on this deal though. A Blackbook is worth a lot more than that.

5. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I agree. Very good deal.. but adding ram will be a good idea.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Obligatory questions:
    Is this going to be a face to face transaction, or is it a intertubes "send me your money and watch me disappear" transaction? If it was on a local craigslist and the seller is not local, fold your tent and walk away.

Does the machine come with the AC adaptor, original OSX DVDs, video adaptors and all cables as outlined on the Applestore and copy of the original receipt? If it is missing DVDs and especially adaptor, then it may well be stolen.

7. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

Thanks for all the input.

I have not seen it yet, except for a picture of it on Craigslist. It is local and we are meeting at a Dunkin Donuts and i plan on asking all the questions you have raised here as well as a few of my own. I do plan on adding ram the minute I get it, even have the ram picked out. I guess I am a bit worried that it may be stolen, but i do not know how to go about checking that out.

The buyer seems desperate to sell this machine and i do not mean it the way it sounds, i think he really just wants the cash before he goes on vacation. I have already told myself if this is a kid I may ask to speak to parents first, as i wouldn't want him to sell it if he is not allowed.

Part of me says back out the other part says I have been waiting for one of these for a long time. I dunno.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

You could try asking for the serial number ahead of time, and finding out from Apple if it's been reported stolen. Another good indication of whether or not it's stolen is, like CanadaRAM said, what original accessories it comes with. The box, the AC adapter, the remote, the disks... It would be pretty difficult to chance-steal a machine and still come out with all of these.

Aside from that, just make sure to thoroughly check out the machine when you meet him in person. If everything looks good.. I'd jump on it. Hell of a deal.

9. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

I agree it is a great deal, and i want to jump on it. I am supposed to meet the guy after work today at 5, I think he said he was leaving town at 7:30 for vacation. What bothers me the most at this moment is that nobody out bid me. I undercut him by $75 and he didn't say hey so and so will give me this for it. His original price was $950, two hours later it went down to $850. Anyone who knows about Macs knows that th Intel ones don't hold as much value like the iBooks did but in the past but that seemed fishy.

I am leaning towards not getting it, or just writing him an email explaining why i won't be there today. Thanks again folks for all your help.

10. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Get serial # ahead of time--say you need to check w/apple to make sure no problem w/warranty transfers/buying applecare.
    Is there a mac repair place you could meet at instead of DD? Would be worth $ to have it checked out before buy, and if he balks at the idea, you know there's a problem.

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I would just suck it up and pay for a refurb'd one. Heck you can get a white one for only $799 in the refurb store.

12. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

That is what I decided to do. I have not been able to get ahold of him and I am worried that it is stolen and well. So again I know what to do next time thanks for all the tips, it was a very useful conversation for me.

13. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

As an update to this story I ended up buying a MacBook from another person here locally and spent $725 which was about fifty less. I do not regret my choice at all, with the exception of the possibilty of trying to keep this little white thing clean ;) ANyway thanks again for all your help guys and gals.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Congratulations on your purchase!! Is the MB in your sig the one you got and did it come with all that RAM?

15. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Wow, $725 is what I dream about! I live in a big Apple place so they hold their value even more so out here. I see your gen Macbooks all the time on CL out here for at least $1000. Good buy for you!

16. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I agree. Great deal. Make sure you look everything over as to make sure that there is something you're not being told about. I wish I could find a blackbook at that price

17. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

No I actually bought the ram on the way home from getting the "book". It was actually easy to do (upgrading the ram) once I found the instructions on Apple's site. It is in wonderful shape, and it is very fast for being a 1.83 i would say :)

18. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

I live near Syracuse and it seems that the Craig's list here is chock full of PC's (go figure with SU here and all) but in Rochester it is a lot easier to find an Apple in Rochester where I bought my mini. So maybe that is why it went so cheap here is because it has not really caught on here in Orange country.

19. cnybud thread starter macrumors member

cnybud

I didn't end up getting the Blackbook, as i thought the person selling it may have been less than forth coming with the computer itself. I bought a Whitebook, and it is in really great shape :)

20. Mantronix macrumors regular