Is 8.1 ok on iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sweetstyle, Oct 27, 2014.

1. sweetstyle macrumors newbie

thoughts please before I download!

Don't want to make a regretful mistake here, so what have you 4s owners experienced?

2. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Please check the main topic for 4S in regards to 8.1.

3. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

After reading the thread listed in the last post, I think I'm going to go ahead and upgrade. It looks pretty good.

I have a new Macbook and iPad, so I'm hoping this will allow the three to interface, correct?

4. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Did you really read the other topic? Most users do report that it is sluggish on an iPhone 4S (and iPad 2). From iPhone 5 and up there are no issues with IOS8.1

We are staying on 7.1.2 with our 4S iPhones.

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

That's not entirely true. The iPhone 5, 5S and 6 will all lag in the weather app, drop frames when you scroll through multiple people in recents (phone app).

6. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

Define your expectations for running "ok". I have it installed on my 4s and I'm not having program crashes or problems with using the phone or text. I did not upgrade immediately from 7.1 to 8.0X, but waited for 8.1.. When I first updated I could not get the SMS handoff feature to work between my phone and my MP laptop, which is less than a year old. There was a thread about people having a problem with this feature, and I tried all of the fixes people suggested. None of them worked. 2 days later I noticed that I could see both iMessages and SMS text messages on my laptop. I have no idea why it started working. This has been the only "feature" problem I've had.

I have had no problems with my music,and I do use itunes match, but being in a 3G system I don't often stream videos. Camera seems to work fine. I don't play games on my phone, so I can't speak to that.

The system is not as fast as it was when new. I don't find it terribly slow, but others probably do. The 4s was the last 32 bit system, and there are probably hoops that both Apple and app developers have to jump through to make a 32 bit system run what was designed as a 64 bit OS.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The heck you talking about? I don't have either of those problems on my iPhone 5.

8. Imory macrumors 6502a

Most do. Switch between the list view and the detailed view for several cities. There's definitely lag and frames dropping. Several people here have experienced it as well.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I see a slight frame drop but it's not enough to distract me from actually looking a the weather but everyone's different I guess. Thanks for pointing it out. I usually never look at that screen.