Is $850 a good price for 21.5 inch 2.5GHz iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ejmc3, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ejmc3 macrumors newbie

Hello all. I'm a long time PC user looking to enter the Mac world. I have been doing a lot of research and reading on this website and have learned a lot. Can anyone tell me if $850 is a good deal on a six month old base iMac 2.5GHz?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Sounds like a really good deal to me if the condition is good and seller sells it with all the RAM etc.

4. mcpix macrumors regular

I think that's a good, but not necessarily great deal.

Rather than comparing it to the new price of $1199 (as the seller is probably doing), you need to compare it to the same computer on the refurbished store which sells for $999. The $850 price represents a 15% discount off the refurbished price.

The refurbished computer will come with a full year of warranty, the used computer will have 6 months or less of warranty available. Everything I've bought from the refurbished store has been in virtually new condition, so you need to consider the condition of the used iMac.

5. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Yeah thats a great deal, I would jump on it If I were looking to buy an iMac.. Just make sure the condition is good, and since it's six months old there will be warranty as well..

It's over $200+ savings when compared to the refurbished model, keep in mind with the refurbished you have to pay tax and recycling fee..

6. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I recently sold a similar model for about $200 more than that, so I would yeah, definitely.

7. ejmc3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bought the iMac. It was in perfect condition. Former owner only had it for six months and decided she wanted a laptop or iPad instead.

Reformatted last night but now having issues reinstalling Mac OS X 10.7. It keeps quitting before completing. Not sure yet how to fix the problem. Will look at it again this evening.

8. xekret macrumors newbie

I picked up a pretty much brand new 21.5 2.7 iMac for $900. I still got to peel off the cover on the screen. I guess the previous user never took it out of the box. The only thing that I was hesitant about was that it is not covered by applecare anymore but I bought it anyways. I had no problems erasing the hard drive and re-installing lion.