Is 8GB enough on new 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gaddster, Jan 26, 2013.

1. gaddster macrumors member

Hi guys

Just ordered 27" iMac, 8gb ram, i7, 1TB fusion drive with 680mx.

I do a lot of stuff in FCPX and premier pro etc hence I went for a higher spec model (reluctantly).

I am thinking of upgrading to 32gb Crucial ram OR should I just wait and see how this new machine copes with the video editing software?

ps i ordered the usb superdrive and just realised it doesnt come with idvd anymore ... darn

2. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

If you are using powerful apps with large files I would say no. If you are on a budget you can get genuine 2x4GB stickes of pulled iMac owner ram to take you up to 16 gig's for $30

3. madridboy86 macrumors newbie

it still comes with DVD player :), aslo I have the 32 GB RAM and I'm having no problems so far, just need to get use to the 27" screen tho, so use to the 24" for so long :(

4. lali macrumors regular

Gaddster
    Ram is the simplest upgrade
    Try with 8gb, if it does not work well enough then you can look at upgrading to 16
    That is a solid machine you bought

5. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys.

lali, can i get 2 x 8gb ram and make it 24gb? or does it have to be even around all four slots?

madridboy86, did you re-install idvd (for making dvd's) or do you use another software ie toast etc?

thanks

6. mrmarts macrumors 65816

The only updates to ram apple offers is 16gb and the more steep 32gb, 16gb should serve you well but if have cash to throw go to 32gb .

7. lali macrumors regular

Hi,

yes you can go to 24GB ram but I suggest you read more about it.
    I would tend to replace all dimms and have them all of the same size, speed, and brand.

Please look at this thread - suggest you read it starting at the end. Lots of different opinions on the topic.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499124&highlight=24gb

8. gaddster thread starter macrumors member

wow, what a great and revealing thread.. i picked up on this comment as im looking at some ram from crucial

"Crucial recommends removing the two 4GB sticks and replacing with their two 8GB sticks, then installing the original two 4GB sticks in the remaining two empty slots."

I may just get 32gb ram from crucial to save any confusion

9. Jameshrcairns macrumors member

If you haven't already made your decision, I'd say to save yourself a fair amount of money I'd say just do what it says above and go for 16gb, even if you put them in in a random configuration you only lose about 10% speed, and it will save you $100

That's what I'll be doing anyway, seems to me as if 16gb is enough for what most people will be doing..