Is 8GB enough RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackosx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jackosx macrumors member

I just ordered the retina MBP, should I have gone for the 16GB version instead of the 8GB? I intend on keep the laptop for a long time.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It completely depends on what you use it for. Most average users are unlikely to need more than 8GB of RAM in the near future.

3. jackosx thread starter macrumors member

is it upgradable if I take it to the Apple store?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt it.

5. MR1324 macrumors 6502

what will you be using your laptop for? average users don't need more than 2GB of ram. i consider myself a power user and never pass 4GB of ram usage. i don't think the length of laptop ownership should decide your ram choice. rather, i think you should look at and try to expect what type of work you will be doing on that laptop.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you can afford it I would definitely go for it. The SSD is not soldered to the logic board, but the RAM is. What you order it with is what it will have forever.

Compared to the base price of the machine it isn't a super expensive upgrade, especially if you intend to use it for a long time.

7. jackosx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answer, Apple has already taken the monies.. :(

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm sure you can still cancel and re-order if you want, just call.

On the other hand 8GB is plenty for a lot of things. Up to you.

9. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

With it being un-upgradeable I'd advise against going with only 8GB.

To me its almost the no brainer upgrade.

10. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I would go with the 16GB if you are planning to keep it for a long time and can swing the extra dollars. I always plan for what I might need and not for what I currently need. You just never know what your needs are going to be in 1-2-3 years. OS's change, programs change, ***** happens.

11. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

I ordered the base 15 retina. I edit a ton of video and never ever went over 4 gb of ram. $200.00 for a extra 8gb, no thanks. You don't have to wait 3 to 4 weeks, only three to five days. Another thing if your Mac has problems, they just cannot swap you out another model. They will send it for repair.

With me traveling alot, I need it fixed right away. Base non BTO model can be swapped for a new one.

12. gus6464 macrumors regular

16GB is a @#(*&$#@ of ram. You would be hard pressed to use 4 nowadays for a normal user. But I guess it all depends on how many services 10.8 will have running in the background.

13. Ves macrumors member

Ves

I think with 8GB being the standard, I'm starting to doubt it it's (good) enough

14. d00d macrumors regular

I've never regretted maxing out the RAM in any of my Macs and while it certainly adds cost to max it out through Apple, you can't do it aftermarket.

15. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

8GB is more than enough bro. Unless you're a hardcore programmer working for nasa :)

16. Tibits macrumors regular

8GB is enough...for now. The problem is that you won't be able to upgrade to 16GB on your own in the future. As you plan on keeping the machine for a long time, you might consider cancelling and going with 16GB, as that will likely be the standard in a few years.

17. 7even macrumors 6502a

18. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Apple is genius. I'm buying more stocks.