Is 8GB of "other" normal?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Lashae, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Lashae macrumors member

Hi, I have an iPhone 6 Plus and i'm wondering if the amount of "other" I have is normal, or if there's some problem.

I have 32 apps that take up 1.8 GB, two photos that take up 29MB, even though there's only one photo in my photos app, Documents & Data, which I don't know what that is, it takes up 62.7 MB, and then there's the "other" that takes up 8.4 GB. I know the other is necessary, but that seems like an awful lot for someone who doesn't have a lot of stuff on my phone. Is there something wrong?

2. Wbutchart macrumors regular

A lot of us are experiencing something similar where other keeps filling. Keep an eye on it if it keeps expanding you have a problem. 8gb sounds very excessive through.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

could it be pictures in your messages app or cached info from twitter, rss? my "other" is a hair above 2gb, and i think that's a lot.

4. GoingDark macrumors 6502

5. Lashae thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought, I deleted all my message threads, and deleted then reinstalled my twitter app, I don't use rss.

----------

Every time I sync it to my computer (pretty rare) the other goes up, at least I'm not the only one experiencing it. :confused:

----------

Thank you for this.
    So, it's an Apple problem, hopefully they fix it... SOON!

6. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

I don't know if you have Facebook app or not but that damn app is a space hog! Over time Facebook cache images and other things at least that's in my case, and I'm still trying to find out what other app stores cache.

I've had 6gb of this "other" data back when I had my iPhone 4 but the issue is gone after I backup/sync everything in my computer then to the iCloud. At first I made a mistake and set it to backup to my MacBook. I didn't let it finish and cancel the sync then the storage doubles and it ended up showing "Over Capacity by 5.3GB". The fix I did was backing up to my computer without interrupting it and set my phone back to sync all important data to iCloud. After that the "other" data went from showing over capacity of 5.3GB which it doesn't include the 6GB of the "other" to 289MB

7. Lashae thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the facebook app, got rid of it a long time ago.

I tried what you did and it didn't help, thanks though.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Instructions on how to recover space below:

http://support.digidna.net/hc/en-us/articles/203504083-The-Complete-Restore-Guide-to-Deleting-Unwanted-iPhone-Other-Storage-Usage

9. Lashae thread starter macrumors member

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Did you try to restore as NEW?

11. Lashae thread starter macrumors member

I haven't, I wanted to see if there were other steps so I won't lose my audible stats, i'm afraid i'm going to have to though.

12. Lashae thread starter macrumors member

I ended up restoring to factory settings, then doing a restore form iCloud backup. I didn't lose any of my info or stats, and my "other" is down to 1.8.

That's much more like it.

Attached Files:

13. jahall05 macrumors regular

Submit bug report to Apple

Everyone should submit a bug report to Apple using bugreport.apple.com

You do NOT need a developer account for this...you can login using your normal iTunes email and password. The more attention that we give Apple with this issue, the more likely there is to be a fix.

I noticed that Facebook likes to cache a TON of data, but it never clears. Deleting and reinstalling the application seems to do it temporarily though.