Is 8GB of RAM enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm looking at the middle of the line 13 inch rMBP.

I see it has 8GB of RAM and I plan on keeping this thing for 4-5 years.

I make some movies in iMovie, listening to music, surf the web, watch movies, and do documents.

Nothing really intensive, but it's between that for $1499 and the MBA for $1399.

I know the Air has better battery life, but the rMBP has better resolution.

Any advice?

2. hummel003 macrumors newbie

i would go for retina, that screen is amazing
    as for the ram...8 will be enough, but i dont know if the retina also uses ram, so im going with 16 to be sure. that 200 dollars extra wont be the dealbreaker. It would suck more if u wish u had 16 but only had 8

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There is really good advice on this same issue in another thread just a couple of links down.

4. iphonehype macrumors 6502

I would go for the Retina, the screen is ever so worth it! I got 8GB Ram on my Retina, and had it for 10 months. I have chucked so many applications at it and I have never seen it hang, or slow down......Worth it.....enjoy it:apple:

5. kithytom macrumors newbie

if you use adobe, autodesk or other programs, I would say 16g is way better than 8g

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

With the Air now getting 15 hours of battery life...it seems like that's better (even though the screen resolution isn't as nice) than the 9 hour battery life.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

9 hours is more than an average person's workday. Unless you do very long airplane trips with no access to power, I don't see why you'd want any more than that...

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i don't think 8gb of ram is enough these days

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

15 hours is definitely better than 9, but I would never consider the MBA. I like the Retina screen and the rMBP form factor/everything else that comes with having the Pro.