is a 128gb ssd enough

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetjaguar, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i mean SL doesnt take much space and the only things i do on my laptop is write papers for school etc .. and possibly do some mobile editing for film projects for school but i have a mac pro for that really. i wont keep music on it or anything like that ... im just not sure if 128 or 256

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

If you don't move a lot of graphics files, 128GB would be enough... I quit doing graphics on my MBP and my storage needs have been pretty low the last 6 months or so... to where a 128GB SSD would be perfect

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i mean i might take some pics off the net but my mac pro has all the storage .. so i doubt i would do any crazy work on my mbp .. ahh maybe i should just stick with the 500gb .. even though im dying to put an ssd in it .. never used one before

4. NerdAlert macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm a professional editor and I got the 128gb SSD. The reason I don't need it to be so big is that I'll just run all of my programs (Final Cut, AfterEffects, Compressor, etc.) and then have all of my capture scratch on external drives hooked up via FW800. My point: the speed in starting up programs from an SSD is worth the expense alone.

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea i mean for all my editing i have my mac pro to do it but just in case i need to do some editing on my mbp i wanna make sure there is enough room .. a 128gb ssd would be nice .. 256gb ssd would be nicer but dont know if i wanna spend 500 more

6. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

To me I just don't think the extra $450 is worth it. You can get a 500gb portable hard drive for less than $100 if you feel like your reaching the limit.

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

the extra 450 for what ?? the 256 over the 128 ?

8. juandixon109 macrumors member

just remove the useless cd drive and put in a harddrive there. I am personally putting a ssd where the cd drive will live.

9. apw100 macrumors regular

Thats what I am doing too. 60GB SSD boot drive w/ the 7200rpm stock drive for storage and to use as a "scratch" disk.

10. shaner2000 macrumors member

?useless cd drive.

I personally prefer to still buy CDs....how else would you rip music from CDs? Do you just have an external cd drive as well?

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I was looking at getting a smaller SSD and putting an HD in place of the SuperDrive. In the end, I ended up getting the biggest SSD I could find. It does come with a 3-year warranty, and at least I don't need to worry about what data I'm keeping where. YMMV

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

kinda not useless if you need to restore or instal a new HD, mine is dead just when i need to sell my Mbp lol

But anyway i can't see a 128Gb (even less then that actually) being used for everyday usage, i can use a 320Gb fine. Upgrading to a 500Gb right now because i use a lot of Cs4 and HD files. I wish the 320Gb SSD was around the $250 mark..