Is a 13" Macbook Pro enough?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Destroysall, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

While I know that I won't be able to purchase a Mac until late November, I still would like to know which one would be the best one to buy. I do photo and video editing, but I wouldn't do too much video editing since I prefer using a desktop for video editing. I also do music recording using both Logic Pro and Pro Tools.

Would a 13" Macbook Pro with a 2.9GHz Dual Core Intel Core i7 (which has a Turbo Boost of 3.6GHz), 8GB RAM, and a 128GB SSD work fine? It doesn't have the option for the Hi-Res display like the 15" Macbook Pro, plus it also doesn't have a discrete graphics chip.

Now, I haven't been up to par lately with technology but as memory serves, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 was really almost revolutionary for integrated graphics, so I assume the HD Graphics 4000 is much better. Also, I know that while the CPU is only a dual core, i7 chipsets have hyper-threading. Thus, it allows the processor to theoretically work like a quad-core. So would this Macbook Pro work fine?

Thanks in advance!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

The performance on the 13 mbp trumps any macbook pro from 2010. Even the 17 inch. I'm also gonna buy the 13 mbp after I sold my early 2011 15 mbp.

4. Primus84 macrumors 6502

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

It depends how serious you are about video editing. If basic Final Cut use is all you'll really be doing, then the Intel HD 4000 will be more than adequate on its own. And really, that SSD is what will really make that machine scream. Otherwise, I'd move up to a base model 15"; keep the SSD if you wish.

6. Destroysall thread starter macrumors 65816

Destroysall

Well, I don't plan on using much of the Adobe Suites on it other than Photoshop and maybe Light Room, but even then those would be minor touch ups to shots, nothing totally drastic. Plus, I'd really would only use those two mostly for photos. I prefer doing the intensive stuff (i.e. After Effects, etc.) on a desktop or a larger display.:p

I will consider the base model 15" as well though. Thank you all so much for your inputs. :)

7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Then a 13" MacBook Pro is definitely plenty. Go with the dual-core i7 model; it's now the better deal of the two 13" MacBook Pro models whereas in past revs the lower end model was historically the better deal.

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

The HD4000 is more than up to the task, that coupled with the i7 chipset you wont be left wanting