Is a 13" worth it now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lilcosco08, Aug 19, 2010.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Or would it be smart to wait for sandy bridge

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That all depends on what you want to do with it. Heavy processing - wait. Need it now, don't do too much heavy lifting, go for it.

3. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Agree, if you are just using mostly for web browsing and word processing then this current model will be just fine for you.

4. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

I played the waiting game for a while when I was considering getting a new iMac. It's not worth it. There's always going to be something better coming down the line and you'll never make a purchase.

Go for the 13", it's a good little notebook.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Why wait for Sandy bridge? Arrandale isn't even in the 13" so what would make anyone think that SB would be in the next 13"? I say, if you need it, buy it.

6. KyleKlink macrumors regular

KyleKlink

Better IG, from what I hear.

7. lilcosco08 thread starter macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

:p
    I wanted to wait for arrandale/sandy bridge because I could use the 2 virtual cores for video editing

EDIT: not to mention the better gpu,power efficiency, clock for clock effeciency, etc

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It depends on what you think is "worth it." Yes, c2d is passe amongst the community, but it's still a decent computer.

I use my 2010 13" MBP for playing guitar with Main Stage, running my e-drum kit and a mic into my Apogee Duet for recording in Logic, editing 1080p video in Final Cut, CS5 (mostly Dreamweaver and Premiere, with a little bit of After Effects), and I also play a little bit of WoW, too.

I use it with my 24" ACD when I'd like to emulate a desktop environment.

I use spaces to make up for the relatively small real estate; it's just as easy to flip through workspaces as it is to alt+tab around. True, you can't have as much stuff on the screen at once, but you can work with it.

It all depends on what you're doing. Most people don't push their computers and don't need nearly what they think.

That said, I'm not doing complex Motion and Maya projects on my 13" MBP and yes compressor takes a while to work, but I don't sit and watch the timer when I'm encoding anyway, so for me it's not the end of the world.

But the iCore MBPs sure are tempting and I don't fault anybody for wanting a shiny new one.

9. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

New Design is what we're waiting for

The big difference between the C2D and i3 is the price Apple paid. In your use of the computer there is no real difference that you would notice.

The only reason to wait is for a new thinner, lighter design.
    --