Is a 16gig iphone good for the average user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lfetsch, Jun 13, 2010.

1. lfetsch macrumors newbie

So basically i dont have too much music and will probably only have a handfull of apps downloaded at a time. Would the 16gig be plenty, or is it better to go up to the 32 gig model?

also, same question with the 200mb and 2gig data plans

2. XciteMe macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to be mean but why do people ask this? This is asked at least 5 times a day.

You remember that slogan from your childhood, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires?" Well, only YOU can know how much storage space is appropriate for you.

Surely you have a basic understanding of the average, ballpark figures of different media?

4 minute song @ 256kbps = 7-8 MB
    30 minutes of video = 350-400 MB
    Simple puzzle game on App Store = Anywhere from 1 MB to 20 MB
    Full-featured 3D games with levels, speech, etc. = Up to 500 MB

So... based on how much of each you'd like to have on your iPhone, it's up to you.

3. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I would say yes. I downloaded every song I like, which after I did, it kinda amazed me that I only really like 400 or so songs, and I used up 1.5 gigs. I have about 30 apps with one being Magellan gps app which takes up 1.2 gb (iirc) almost 100 pictures, 7 videos I shot, and some other misc stuff, and I still have a little over 9 gb free. I would say that's pretty sufficent for the average user. Another thing you could do to free up some memory if you take a lot of pics is to send them all to photobucket and delete them off your phone.

4. ericxd macrumors regular

i only use max of 10GB on my 32GB 3GS...why i got 32GB 3GS...because its 32GB and i thought resell would b a bit better. Turns out I wasn't gonna sell it but w/e extra 100 dollars for double the size seems like a bargain for me.

5. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

If you can afford it, get the 32GB, you will get your money back when you sell it.

As for whether you need it, it sounds like you don't. But with HD video recording etc, you may find that in a few months when you've collected loads of app and new music/videos etc, 16GB isn't enough.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I don't get why people say this. It will sell for maybe $25-$50 more. Buyers online generally just want the iPhone...

But, I will get the 16GB. I have 300 and growing songs, about 60 apps, 2500+ and growing pictures, I think like a couple hours of video (actually like three hours, iirc), and I will take some pics and HD video on my iPhone 4. I think I'll be better off saving my $100 now.

7. army91c macrumors 6502a

I have:
    672 songs
    603 photos
    2 full length movies
    32 apps
    and still have 4.6 usable on my 16gig.

I have never bought the 32g and only plan on doing so this time because I plan selling it (using sister in laws upgrade woot). If you have the extra $100 you may as well buy it for the extra $ on re-sale, other wise no need for it from what you said.

8. corriewf macrumors 6502a

I have a 16 gig and have all the apps that one could enjoy. I have tons of pics and vies, music etc, but I still have 5 gigs left. 32 gigs is only important if you plan to have a bunch of movies

9. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I have a 16GB 3GS. And I have 10GB of music, yes I only actually listen to maybe 1/3 of it. So if I really needed more space I could just not sync some of the 100 albums I have on iTunes.

It's really personal taste though. If you have tons of music/movies/photos go with the 32, if you can manage with 16 just get that and save the money.

10. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    I don't know, but I can give you an answer if you let me stalk you for an entire week.

11. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I have a 16gb 3g and I plan on getting the 32gb iPhone 4. I never had any space issues with the 16gb, but the 32gb is only $100 more. If the $100 is really that important to you, you might as well go with the 16gb. If the $100 isn't that important, you can never go wrong with more space.

12. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i'm unsure because I'd like to use that vid feature. But for whatever reason I've never used more than 5GB in 2 years I've had my 3G. I don't have any apps. Music is what I put on there and I rotate. Pics I take but take them off once I sync up. So... I want the 32 but I don't think I need it.

13. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

16GB would be enough for your current usage but do you plan to take many HD videos?

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, under that scenario 16GB is fine.

By example: I have a 32GB w/ about 1000 songs on it, 120 apps, 30-40 pics or videos and am around 11 GBs.

The only caveat is that the 4G will have 5mp pix, up from 3, and the video will be 720p, which even though it will be very compressed and probably not real 720p quality, will take up more space. If you plan on using it for video and pictures you'll want to leave 5-6GB free for that purpose, so put that into your calculation.

As for data, I routinely use 220-300mb w/ light use, mostly web browsing and email. I would go start w/ the 2GB plan to get a baseline on how much data you actually use in a month. If you find out its under 200 then switch, but I'm guessing it will be over.

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

A 16GB is just fine. I've got lots of apps, music & pics on mine with 6GB to spare. Start with any data plan you wish, AT&T allows you to switch between the two without affecting your contract.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had the 32GB 3Gs and found it over kill for what I used it. I think for most average users, the 16GB will be more then enough

17. aneftp macrumors 601

If you are around wifi 80% of the time 200MB is enough for you.

A lot of people don't realize if you go over 200mb data you either have option of paying $15 extra for another 200mb data or calling AT&T up and if you do it before your monthly bill ends, you can add the 2gb/$25 plan and AT&T will retroactively put that data plan on for you. So the must you would pay is $25/2gb if you actively call AT&T or chaned data online before the billing period ends.

Those who use more than 2gb data are streaming music/video over 3g. They are doing this mainly at work where their employers prohibit or restrict using media sites. Or those people simple are tethering their devices.