Is a 2 Year Old 23" ACD Too Old?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Jan 26, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I have been offered a 23" Apple Cinema Display for £390 and it's 2 years old.

Is this any different from the current spec of Apple Cinema Displays?

Thanks

2. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

3. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Some people say that the ACDs are going to be updated soon...I don't know if that affects your purchase.

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thing is, the price of this 2nd hand one is about the same as the current 20" model, but it's 2 years old. (The current 20" is £399 and the 23" is £599).

I want to buy 2 ACD's by June this year and I think realistically, at £599, there's no chance, but at £390, it's a possibility.

5. jwt macrumors 6502

I don't think 2 years is too old. I've been running my ACD for 6 years and still looks great. The beauty of an older monitor is you can see if it has any pixel defects before you buy it. If it does, you don't have to buy it. But if you buy an Apple display brand new and there are dead pixels, they may not accept a return. Apple may be different about it now, but when I bought my Powerbook in 1998, there were a couple of stuck pixels. I wanted to send it back, but the company I bought it from said Apple wouldn't let them accept it. In my mind, a 23" monitor with 2 years of proven reliability is much more attractive than a 20" with no track record.