Is a 6+ 16GB pretty much useless ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cymolia, Dec 3, 2014.

1. cymolia macrumors 6502a

I bought a 16gb yesterday and calling all around to do an exchange for a 64 gb and no one has it . How would i go about doing an exchange if i cant find any ? I regret getting the 16 gb , beautiful phone but not enough memory.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If u can't find it then return and get money back.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just return it and order it online.

4. cymolia thread starter macrumors 6502a

do i have to eat the restocking fee ?

5. goofy1958 macrumors regular

16GB might work for someone with a killer internet plan that can afford to keep music and movies in the cloud, but a lot of us cannot. I'm moving to the 128GB from a 64GB, since I have only a few GB left, and can't even put all of the music I'd like to on my current phone, much less adding a few movies.

Heck, I've got 8GB of photos alone, and that isn't anywhere near all of them!

I would return it for a refund, and wait until you can get the 64GB. Good luck!

----------

Depends on the store and manager. They might waive it if you order another one during the return. YMMV.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Give it to me. I'll take it off your hands since you think it's useless.

7. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 3 that mostly just stays at home, and its 16gb has been kind of a juggling act with apps alone. Trying to do that with a phone (or with my next iPad) just seems very much not worth the hassle.

8. cymolia thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think ill just return it, i can wait an extra 10 days for a 64 gb

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have no idea. If you do have to pay a restocking fee you can look at two ways:

1. It is a small price to pay so you have a more enjoyable experience with your phone.

2. It is the price you pay because you were impulsive and purchased what you really didn't want in the first place.

10. the caveman macrumors 6502

Can you tell us from which outlet have you purchased it? If purchased directly from apple then no.

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

There are plenty of people who don't need large hard drives. My father is a perfect example, and I know many others (typically older people) who don't use the iPhone for a lot of photos or apps. They use it for phone calls, reading emails and text messages.

If you don't use many apps and don't use your iPhone for video or photos, a 16GB hard drive is just fine. My father has zero apps on his iPhone. All he does is use it as a phone and for reading his emails. That's it. Also, there are plenty of people who purchased the iPhone 6+ just for the larger screen so it's easier to read text (yes, as you get older your eyes start to go...all you young kids just wait because you'll find out).

12. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

x2. Why would it be useless? I've had nothing but 16GB phones since the IP4. I've found every phone I've owned to be QUITE useful. :) Currently have a 16GB IP5 with about 500 songs, 500 photos, and 75 or so apps on it, still have 2.5GB free.

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Exactly my point...

Obnoxious thread title: Is a 6+ 16GB pretty much useless ?

14. cymolia thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have everything in the cloud but still feel 16 gb is too small for me, i dont realy do pics and videos either

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The title and the body of the thread don't really match, do they?

In response to a 16gb phone being useless: for me, yes. There are threads here where people feel otherwise and are as baffled by my usage as I am by theirs lol.

As far as returning the phone, Apple doesn't do a restocking fee. Many other carriers do, but it's up to the discretion of the store or carrier. I've ony ever had to do one restock and was charged at the carrier store but the CSR over the phone was happy to just credit my account without even a second of hassle.

Even if you do end up paying a restock, seems a small price to pay to not get stuck with a phone that you're inmediately unhappy with.

16. Quaranz macrumors newbie

Quaranz

Yep, in fact 16 GB in general in 2014 for a high end device is useless, 32 should be the minimum, but i'm in favor of having the jump from 16 to 64 gigabytes. But in my opinion if Apple wants to shake to industry, they should have the minimum be 64 gigabytes and go up to possibly 256 gigabyte devices, now that'll be something. In fact its very minimum cost wise in difference between 16/32/64 gigabytes so their should be no incentive to make a 16 gigabyte iPhone

17. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

I can live with 16GB on a phone, but on a tablet is a no-no.

My iPhone 6 is 16GB and I have unlimited max-speed whatever LTE plan so all of my music is streamed from SoundCloud and I never watch movies on my phone.
    I have about 3,000 photos and videos (1080p 60fps) and 50 apps = 4.2GB free. Perfect. I upgrade every year anyway so i'm waiting for the iPhone 7/7s base model to be 64GB. It's going to happen in the near future so I don't want to spend 100$ for a 64GB model if I can live with 16GB another 2 or 3 years.

My iPad Air 1 is 32GB and it's getting pretty full. Same unlimited plan but only 3G . I have zero photos & movies, only music (2,000 songs) and apps (90) = 2.5GB free.
    I upgrade my iPad every 2 years. Planning to purchase the 128GB iPad Air 3 next year.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I have crazy bad tinnitus and can't use earphones, so I have zero music on my device and 16GB wouldn't be enough. I had a 16GB iPhone 4 and ended up filling it with videos, photos and apps. I managed to stay within my 32GB quota on the iPhone 5, but again with no music and I only had a couple of GB free.

Then again, my dad has my old iPhone 4 and only has a few apps installed. He doesn't use it for anything but web browsing, emails, photos and SMS/phonecalls. He has around 12GB free...

19. Ibaorus macrumors member

It depends on people. If you are a heavy user, then 16 GB is "useless" to you. 16 GB is for casual user, who only use their phone for web browsing, email and some light gaming or apps.

64 GB is more than enough for me at the moment, but by the time 6S comes out, I will probably get 128 GB.

My suggestion to you is, sell the phone and purchase another one from Apple Online Store.

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

With a device like the 6+, Id say get the 64gb one, you wanna load this bad boy up with a ton of stuff and if you happen and like recordiny in 1080p60 fps(I do , I always keep it on 60 fps) that uses up more memory recording in that mode so theres that too

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

I guess I should throw my 16GB 6+ away since its "useless". You knew what you were buying BEFORE you bought it.

22. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I have a 16gb 6+ and it's fine for me! I don't use many apps, and all my photos are synced to Dropbox (1tb storage). I use the 6+ to edit photos on the go for my clients. Its super useful at a concert when I can edit a few photos and send them off to the band manager during the show so they can update Facebook.

I always have 3.5-4gb of free space.

23. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

While my iPhone 6 is 64GB I hardly see 16GB as useless. First of all, storing all your music and files maybe overkill. You will never listen to all that music in one sitting. Learn to develop playlist that contain the songs you like to hear. This frees up space for other files. Do the same thing with Photos and Apps.

Having said all that, be patient and get the phone you want the first time around. People don't have patience these days and create too many problems for themselves because of this.

24. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Useless is too harsh of a word. Many users have shown they can work around having a lot of storage.

I think a better word would be "crippled".

25. cababah macrumors 68000

Managing storage is a PITA.

Went 128GB so I won't have to worry about it for a loooong time :)