Is a 750.00 upgrade REALLY worth it for a SSD and 1tb HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by maf2k8, Aug 4, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2009
    Ok so, I bought my very first Mac a few months ago ( 27" i7 2.8GHz 8gb ram 1tb HD )

Now the refresh has hit and i am really wanting to run dual displays....I have searched high and low for a monitor but nothing compares to the iMac display ( not even the 24" ACD that i tried, 2 of them for that matter! )

So i decided i want to get a 2nd 27" iMac and use it as a external monitor while using the power of the processor in the background.....

I can either A) get a lower model then my current iMac and use that as my ( in the background rig ) or B) get a LOADED i7 iMac and use my current iMac as the ( in the background rig )

What i would do is run the iMac in dual display and use 1 iMac for streaming movies, encoding movies, etc, etc in the background as i use the display for my other iMac ( ok that sounds confusing )

anyways... to add a 256 SSD and a 1TB HD is 750.00!!! That is a MASSIVE upgrade!

Would i really benefit from a SSD upgrade in my situation?

Is the 600.00 SSD REALLY a upgrade that will last alonggggggggggggggg time?

The more and more i think about 600.00 for 256gb of storage the more my stomach turns....

but the more and more i picture a iMac running off a SSD drive the more and more i want it!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Why not just get a 27" ACD? If you really want the SSD (they are amazingly fast) then sell your current iMac and get a new one with an SSD as well as a 27" ACD.
  3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2009
    The new 27" ACD i think are 999.00? when released? 1,000.00 for a monitor that doesnt even offer VGA/HDMI/DVI? thats a bit insane in my eyes.....
  4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

Jun 25, 2009
    SSDs are fine, but in the end, where their advantage lies is at launching applications and accessing certain files. You might have a 7200rpm drive and be happy with it. If you were a professional, you wouldn't have bought an iMac in my opinion as you would put performance and flexibility in the first place. With the iMac, I think the best thing to do is to stick with the absolute minimum that you feel you can get away with. If you like the 27" screen and that is a must for you, have the basic 27" one. If you don't mind the smaller screen, don't spend the premium and stick to the cheapest one. $750 might be worth it to someone who don't have to spend their own money, but you can almost buy a large screen and a Mac Mini from that amount. Or a basic iMac. Preserve your cash!

Simply put, don't spend that much on such a little change. When SSDs become cheaper, you can get one in this iMac or a future one.

EDIT: sorry, if I didn't answer the question. I'm just back from a dinner...
  5. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2009

VERY well put!

I am going to pass on the SSD option!

Thanks again!
  6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    I would sell your iMac and get a Mac Pro. Then buy two monitors that are of good quality. They don't have to be apple monitors.

Then you have the ability to put an SSD drive or a raptor drive in it. You will probably come out about the same price...maybe a little more but you will be able to expand more.