Is a bit of wiggle room for the Fan a problem?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by minimacradius, Aug 17, 2014.

1. minimacradius macrumors newbie

I've upgraded my 2011 Mac Mini to have an SSD, and so far all is looking well, with a noticable increase in performance. Once issue I've had is that one of the fan screws doesn't seem to be fully home, which means the the fan can be wiggled by a small amount, say 2-3mm. Does this present a problem? Does the fan need to be tight with no movement?

Not sure if I'm being paranoid, just want to be sure I don't have issues later down the line. The screw is close to being stripped so I'm and won't seem to screw any tighter.

Thanks for any help =D

2. minimacradius thread starter macrumors newbie

An update: bought a new Torx T6 screwdriver, removed and rescrewed the fan - tried swapping 'em over, same result: the fan can be wiggled by about 2mm. Had a final attempt to tighten the screw, an have stripped the head of the screwdriver. Fun times.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

It should be fine as long as the Mini isn't mounted in your car or something else mobile.

4. minimacradius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response. I've tried further to correct the issue, no luck yet.
    I'm going to leave it for the moment, and am hoping a member of the Genius Apple team will be able to correct the issue...