Is a Bluetooth headset a necessity?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eswank, Oct 3, 2007.

?

Do you think a bluetooth headset is a necessity for the iPhone?

1. Yes

25.3%
  2. No

61.3%
  3. *shrugs* I don't know.

13.3%
  1. eswank macrumors 6502

I just had a question for your current iPhone users out there. Is having a bluetooth headset really a necessity with the iPhone? I currently own a Sony Ericsson phone & headset and I don't find myself using the headset as much as I thought I would. I've read mixed reviews for the Apple Bluetooth Headset and the Aliph Jawbone.

So yeah, basically... is having a bluetooth headset really a necessity with the iPhone?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

It's not all that important. I don't own a bluetooth headset and I don't think I'll ever buy one. On the other hand I don't really need it but people who use it would not be able to live without it.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

That is more of a personal choice. If you need/want a BT headset then use one. If you don't then don't

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I think people who walk around with a BT headset in their ear all the time look like idiots...
    So I went with no.

5. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

no...if I want to talk hands free, I will use my earbuds

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I saw a few the other day, and I agree. There is no real benefit to having one. They are a pain to use for the most part, and you look like a dork with it in your ear.

The problem is people used to carry cell phones and clip them on their belt so people would notice them. Now those same types of people have to have the bluetooth in their ear to get them noticed.

7. mets1125 macrumors regular

I personaly like using a BT headset I do not like the wires hanging while I'm driving

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Same here. I can't stand those BT things stuck in people's ears. Makes them look like they are being assimilated by the Borg...

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm a big headset fan (wired and wireless), and I find that the Apple bluetooth headset works great in the car. It's too hard to hold the phone while you are talking, and not a good idea to use the earbuds in the car...

The dual-dock charger is sweet, and having on-screen displays for charging status is fantastic - if you have the 1.1.1 update.

I find the single button off/on/answer/hang up to work really well. Simple to use, and it just works.

Little things that make it with the extra $$ for me...

One drawback, is that it is so small, I am afraid I am going to lose it! I keep it in the cup holder of my car, and I'm very careful not to toss it out with the trash... LOL

Outside of the car, I find that the range is also a little weak (ie the distance between the iPhone and the headset) - especially if the batteries aren't fully charged. Putting the phone in your pocket for example can give you some "static" when you are talking. I think the signal is blocked by your body, or something. I use the wired headset outside of my car (ie on a walk, etc).

10. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Seeing as it's illegal over here in the UK to use your phone whilst driving without a wireless headset, I'd say yes, it is completely necessary.

Being a journo I use mine daily whilst I'm in the car.

-Leemo

11. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

If you live here in Communist California, starting in Jan 08, it will be illegal to drive a car and hold a phone or mobile device, so we have no choice.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I use it in the car or if I am around the house having a long conversation.

It gets tiring holding up a phone to one's ear for an hour...but you don't need bluetooth to do that either.

13. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

yeah first they take away drinking while driving and now this.. those stupid communists concerned with silly things like public safety...

14. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I use my Apple BT headset in the car, but outside of the car, I only use the phone or earbuds. I dont see any reasonable need to use the bluetooth headset while not driving.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh please. That has been the law in a lot of places for years. Pay attention to the arseholes on the road and note how many have phones to their ears.

16. vega07 macrumors 65816

with the iphone earphones, it is completely unnecessary if you travel with your iphone in your pocket. I find it only useful when I'm at home walking around the house.

I agree, bluetooth headsets make people look like ugly cyborgs so I don't ever leave the house with it. :p

17. sananda macrumors 68020

doesn't have to be wireless just handsfree to comply.

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree with all the people that said to just use the earbuds. They are great and work really well. You can also go from music to a call extremely easy, and they dont work on battery power.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Only reason i would get a bluetooth headset for my iPhone is listening to the iPod.

20. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Necessity? Nope. Now, if they supported A2DP, and you could get full sound out of it natively without any trickery, then I might have to switch over....

21. Gonzlobo Suspended

Sure, they're a necessity - if you want to look like a tool!

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Got the Apple BT headset. Chose that over the much more highly touted Jawbone because I'm superficial. ;) It looks so much sleeker. And it ships with two chargers... convenient because I often find myself living between two different places.

I prefer the earbuds for sound quality-- but I am a complete and utter klutz. And have already on more than one occasion, gotten the wires tangled up/ caught on something and had my iPhone yanked outta my pocket/ bag/ etc. and slam into something. :eek:

So, yes, a BT headset is handy for klutzes like myself.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you use your phone to talk a lot, maybe. Otherwise, I say no cause you can't even listen to music.

24. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

If the bluetooth headsets were cheaper i would've thought of getting one :rolleyes:

25. ssajous macrumors member

Give me a BREAK

You guys must be kidding me!!! You guys sound like a bunch of apologists, the bt does not work the way it should and that's all there is to it. Stop acting like Apple can do no wrong, everything Apple is GREAT!!

The true sign that we like Apple product is if we critic them when there is something wrong with them.

I live in a city where I am not allowed to drive and talk on the phone without an ear piece. At the same time I don't want those earphones on while I am driving because of the wires and because of the fact that the phone has to be on my lap while I do that, meaning that I have to keep one hand close to try to catch it if falls, therefore taking my attention away from driving; which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place.

What's the next poll question? Is the phone "option" really necessary in the iphone?