Is a case necessary for the 15" uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfTT123, Aug 2, 2009.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I just got a new 2.66 GHz uMBP the other day and I wanted to get your input on whether or not a case was necessary or not. I plan on carrying around my computer in my Swiss Army backpack which already has a compartment for laptops. In your opinion, is a soft case necessary? Also, can anyone comment on the durability of the unibody design when compared to the previous generation MB's? I owned a 13" White MB for awhile and I kept it in pretty good condition for over a year in exception of a crack that developed at the edge of the casing. Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of case is recommended that won't increase the bulk of the computer but keep it safely protected?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Hard cases can leave more scratches on a computer than not having one. It would be best to not use a case and only use something to protect it during transport.

I have used only a Swiss Army laptop bag for my MBP for the past year and a half and my laptop is still in great condition. I have dropped the back too many times to count and constantly carry around large amounts of books.

I do have a laptop sleeve to carry my laptop around in when I'm not using my backpack though.