Is a case necessary?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jtap, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jtap macrumors member

Do you guys think a case for the iPad would be necessary for in-home use only? Basically I plan on using the device more or less as a coffee table computer - also as my home theater remote. I am worried about the back getting scratched up.

The mirrored surface in my ipod touch looks horrible after only 6 months of light use. Would it be safe to say that this device is less susceptible to scratch marks?

Or could anyone please recommend a nice, simple and lightweight case with no company logo? I am not a fan of the jelly cases or any that take away from the aesthetics of this beautiful thing before me. However, I do want it to be safe.. :D

Lastly, does anyone know of a good, simple stand? I do not want a dock as this would only be used to hold the iPad up on the center of a table. Maybe like a nice glass or plastic one? Thanks.

(very surprised by ease of use of this on screen keyboard btw)

2. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Honestly, for home use only I wouldn't care and would just get a single slide in case. I used to have the incase sleeve, but I am returning it since in got the apple case.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

There are already a plethora of threads with case and stand recommendations. Just search the iPad forum.

4. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I hate cases but learnt the hard way with all my iPhones!!!

I truly love the look of the new iPad but if its anything like the 2G iPhone then it will be scratched in no time with the slightest slide across a coffee table etc.

What I believe is different though is that the Apple iPad case is more for stability and practical usage of the iPad when tying etc

I would love my iPad (incoming) to be used naked :) however I have ordered the Apple Case as it sounds like I will need it!!

PS - I also like to keep my Apple products in tip top condition for resale value i.e. I would like to get as much top dollar for my iPad when V2 comes out in a years time!!!:D

5. jim2011 macrumors member

I strongly recommend the official Apple iPad case. It is the first case I owned ever that actually improves the experience of the device. I love that you can fold it so that it props up on your lap diagonally. It's a lot better than having it flat on your lap, trust me.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I would get a case. If you drop it onto tile or hard wood floor, it could be game over. Most people don't carry their laptop with them all around the house, but they will carry their slippery iPad.

7. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

For around the house just get a rubberized case. I use that so it doesnt scratch the back of it.

8. Ruby110 macrumors newbie

I absolutely agree! The case solves the angle on lap and slippery iPad problems.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have the official Apple case. I'm very happy with it. It's like holding a spiral notebook. It adds less than half a pound and protects the iPad well. It folds to prop up the iPad for a nice typing angle in landscape mode. I don't know if I'd have a case if I knew I'd always keep my iPad on a coffee table. I take mine out a lot. Every class. Every meeting. So I'm glad I bought the Apple case.

10. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I don't have one yet, I'm waiting for dust to settle and for the 3g model to come out, I've only held one in the store, so take this with a grain of salt.

I would get a case, not to protect it, but for ease of holding/walking around with it.

The official Apple case looks nice, though I kind of wish it didn't have an Apple logo, I'm an anti-logo person in general.

11. applefan022 macrumors 6502

Wait for the otterbox defender case that is currently in development right now if you want a good case :)

12. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I'm going to just use mine around the house also and have been on the fence about getting a case for it. I really don't need one, but if the Apple case will help with typing while, say, in bed then I might break down and get one. I don't think it's absolutely necessary. I would be more worried about the iPad scratching my furniture than the other way around!

13. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I feel like I'm saying the same thing in every one of these threads, and I swear I'm not being paid to endorse this company, but here goes . . . get a carrying case and use it naked (the Ipad, not you.) I ordered a Hard Candy Bubble case for exactly that type of usage. It's a hard case with padded interior. I'll carry and store it in that case for safe keeping, but take it out to use. If it gets moved, it goes in the case. Anything else destroys the feel of the Ipad, adds weight, and doesn't really protect it at all where it really needs to be protected - the glass! So find something that actually does protect the glass.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't use a case, but for on the go, I have a sleeve that I slip the iPad into before I put it in my bag. My bag does have a few sharp objects.

15. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

I'm really not that concerned about protecting the iPad. Life's too short to worry about scuffing a gadget. As long as it doesn't actually break, it's fine, and maybe I'm more careful than most people, but I've never broken a gadget. One day you'll sell it for a few dollars less because it has some scuffs, but in return for those few dollars, you didn't have to worry about it for years.

What I am concerned about is ease and natural positioning in holding and using it, and I think a case would help with that.

16. Asha'man macrumors newbie

Asha'man

I have the Apple case, and it's nice, but it has a clear drawback: the edges have this pinched seam, rather than being rounded. This makes holding the ipad via it's edges less comfortable. I'd like to see the same case, with the flip-back cover, but with smooth rounded seams around the edges.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A full case is not necessary but a silicon skin or something to protect the back is unless you don't mind a scratched up back. Personally I plan on selling my iPad when Gen 2 comes out so I'm trying to keep mine as new as possible. Check eBay. They have them for $7 shipped.

18. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

19. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

This.

20. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I with Incipio would hurry up already and release the feather case. I have one on my iPhone and love it.

I think it is the perfect case for someone that uses their iPad around the house and needs a little protection, plus the added benefit of the rubberized backing.

21. whistler222 macrumors 6502

22. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I only have a sleeve to protect my iPad while it's being carried around. I love using the iPad naked. I think a case sort of ruins the experience.

23. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I have the Apple case. While the edge seam is a little unusual when you're holding the iPad, the material makes the iPad much less slippery on your lap. Also, the way the flap works is great. The angle is good when your typing, both on your lap and on a table. Plus, the flap is great when you put it down-it protects the screen nicely.

24. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

25. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I think I'd like a case not so much for protection as for usability and appearance. Thinking of getting the Apple case sometime soon.