Is a case really necessary?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Surreptitious, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Surreptitious macrumors newbie

I am getting my first iPod touch soon (3g) and I was wondering if I really need a case.. I won't ever drop the thing and even if it was dropped would a normal case even stop the screen from cracking or breaking? If I really do need a case do I need one that covers the screen?

2. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

A case DEFINITELY helps if you drop it. And I'd say it is necessary if you hate scratches, the back will scratch up a storm just from pocket sliding.

3. mpb2000 macrumors regular

Personally, I've always liked the "naked" ipod approach. For me, I put an invisible skin (non-adhesive, removable, of course) on the front and use a moshi ipouch for when I'm carrying it around, or leaving it somewhere. I've done that for both of the ipods I've had so far and they've looked great. I never worry about scratching them and the fabric of the moshi keeps smudges away.

http://shop.fullbodyfilms.com/

http://www.moshimonde.com/products2.asp?UPLF1=17&PDLS1=8

4. creon macrumors 6502

Incase.

I found their cases to be the best by far in every function.

The Invisible Shields are hard to place on and bubble like no other.

I would go with a Incase case and a Power Support screen protector. I have both of these setups on my iPod Touch and iPhone and both of them look like new!

The best thing to do is to take your iPod in and test out cases in the Apple Store and see what one feels good in your hand.

**Do a youtube search about the shields and you will see how hard they are to put on.**

5. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

A few questions.

1. Does the Incase Slider scratch the phone since it such a tight fit getting it in there?

2. Doesn't the power support only come with screen protectors, and not back protectors? Do you have the back of yours protected? If not, is it scratched?

6. bdavis89 macrumors regular

case is definitely a must. you should buy it right when you get it too, cause the backs get scratched THAT easily...i recommend Agent 18, had it for my 2g touch, it was really nice and functional, and best thing was you could still see the beauty of the back!

7. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

I like the Speck CandyShell looks:
    http://appleipodtouch.blogspot.com/2009/06/speck-candyshell-ipod-touch-cases-2g.html

That said, I can't say I've ever tried it. I've been waiting for the recently-updated iPod Touch. I'd get one if scratches and little nicks bug you. I don't know if I like the bulk of those hard plastic clear cases (with the little picture frame prop-up). You can read the Amazon reviews if you search for it (Speck CandyShell) and decide for yourself if you want to go... bareback or not. heh ;-)

8. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I use mine naked and use a reasonable amount of care in not abusing it.

I bought the iPod because it's small and don't really want to spend money on making it larger and more difficult to use.

9. devburke Guest

It came with back protectors for 1Gs, but the contoured shape of the 2G and 3G Touches meant it wouldn’t really work. I don’t care too much personally, it’s the screen I really care about, and their screen protectors are fantastic. I don’t use a case, and people always ask how my screen is so un-scratched (the screen blends in so well no one realizes it’s there).

10. santos79 macrumors regular

useless

If your the kind of person who wears pocket protectors, keyboard protectors and transparent plastic covers on your sofa, then yes. Otherwise, why? The screen won't scratch.

11. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I have an incase for mine and it form fits the itouch. Just used the 2nd gen for the 3rd gen as there is no difference. It has little rubber strips on inside that keep it from marking up the back. The bottom piece can be taken off if you need to put into something like a speaker system etc that fits down in. It doesn't really look like you have a case on it. Then you just use a screen protector and your itouch is protected all around without looking like it.

12. tundotcom macrumors member

I advocate the naked approach. It makes it less desirable to steal if it's in "******" condition. ;)

13. Bighaugs Guest

I've been saved more than once by the inexpensive silicone rubber case I put on my iPod touch. I'm not so much worried about scratches (the chrome still gets dingy, even with a case on). It's more the catastrophic force that a from-waist-height drop puts on the casing and screen.

The rubber helps distribute the blow and has kept mine in good working order.

14. McCready00 macrumors newbie

those 35$ and more stupid case ?

I can't believe they sell it over 20$.. Thieves!

Although, I really think you should get something for your IPodTouch. They are really fragile.

15. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Oh yes, it will. I have had mine for a while and took good care of it. Then one day I noticed a scratch towards the top. If I ran my fingernail across it I could feel the crack in the screen. It was really small and not always noticable.

But that is the least of my problems now. Someone borrowed my Touch at work and dropped it, the top left hand side of the screen is completely cracked. It still works just fine but it's there all right. I'm getting the newer touch soon anyways but I was going to give this one to my friend.

Always use a case, even just a little one.