Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Hi everyone,

I got my first Apple, the new 27" iMac, a couple weeks ago, but I replaced it today because of the yellow tint issue with the screen. (This replacement also has a yellow tint, so it will be replaced yet again shortly.)

In that week plus of use however, I had some of my documents transferred to the HD from my Windows XP PC, installed a few programs, and made many customizations to the OS settings. I made a Time Machine backup of all that prior to replacing it.

Eventually, whenever it is that I get the final iMac that is without defects, I will use Migration Assistant to transfer that account I first created. (I'll also open the iMac in store to make sure there are no apparent problems, but in doing so I'd have to create an account the first time it launches. As I understand I should create an account name that's different from the one I'll use, that way I can Migrate, otherwise it won't let me replace an account of the same name)

I wondering though if there would be any benefit to not migrating that previous account. Instead just manually doing it all over again from scratch.

I understand the concept of a "clean install" so that unnecessary files aren't transferred over, but when you're merely transferring over files from a relatively new account that's only been in use for a week, is there any reason at all to not simply use Migration Assistant?

Thanks for any tips.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can create the user you want to use in future and use Migration Assistant found in Utilities when you want to transfer your data

timecarter

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
I wouldn't transfer over any programs.... Those should be freshly installed on each machine.

I would transfer photos and songs from your time machine backup using the migration assisstant. It's really easy and should keep your system pretty clean.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
In your particular case, I would just use migration assistant.

Here are some thoughts from yesterday's discussion on this subject: click here.

Bryan

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I wouldn't transfer over any programs.... Those should be freshly installed on each machine.

Is it because after even only a week of use, I could be transferring unnecessary files?

In your particular case, I would just use migration assistant.

Here are some thoughts from yesterday's discussion on this subject: click here.

Thanks. I did see that yesterday before I posted, but I decided to start a separate thread cause I feel like my scenario is different. The thread starter in that link is migrating from an iMac he's been using for some time and I'm merely migrating from one that's been in use for a week to another iMac of the exact same model and OS version.

I really would like to just migrate. It's such an extraordinary hassle to have to start from scratch yet again after 2 defective units. Hopefully the 3rd replacement will be without issue. And if it is, I think I just decided I'll force myself to rebuild it all again from scratch--OS settings, applications, and even documents. I don't know what the disadvantages, if any, are for simply migrating documents/files, but if I'm gonna spend a good day rebuilding everything else, I think spending a few dozen more mouse clicks just to transfer files--which may amount to only half an hour more vs migrating--is nothing in the bigger picture.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I just gave Migration Assistant a try to see how it works. As I explained in my original post, I'm on a defective replacement iMac, so I just tried to migrate my programs and OS settings from the first defective iMac to this one. It didn't work.

Programs like Firefox were transferred, but when I launch Firefox, it launches like a brand new install. None of my Add On's are in place and neither are my settings for them. Also, none of my OS settings--like the content of my Stickies and the many customizations I made in System Preferences--transferred over.

Is Migration Assistant not able to transfer over these things or did I simply do something wrong?

Thank you.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I just gave Migration Assistant a try to see how it works. As I explained in my original post, I'm on a defective replacement iMac, so I just tried to migrate my programs and OS settings from the first defective iMac to this one. It didn't work.

Programs like Firefox were transferred, but when I launch Firefox, it launches like a brand new install. None of my Add On's are in place and neither are my settings for them. Also, none of my OS settings--like the content of my Stickies and the many customizations I made in System Preferences--transferred over.

Is Migration Assistant not able to transfer over these things or did I simply do something wrong?

Thank you.

When I did a clean install of 10.6 and migrated from TM backup, everything was exactly the same.

Try doing it again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.