is a combined optical digital/audio line in necessary for audio recording?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pad18, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Pad18 macrumors member

I'm kinda' new to the whole audio recording process and I'm leaning more towards the 13' MBP bc the only difference between the 15' and the 13' is an optical in line. So, what does the optical line in do? And is it worth the extra $200 because i do not think 2' of monitor space is?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Optical is digital, the line in is analogue.

So optical gives you the opportunity to input from digital devices.

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

If you're going to be doing recording then you'll want an external audio interface (for example, I use the Emu 0404 USB) anyway so I'd just pick your favourite model.

4. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

So if I was to be using an external audio interface it would render an optical audio in-line useless?

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Well I suppose you could do some investigation into it. I don't know anyone who records this way... Although I have used the optical out through a DAC so I can use the built in sound card before.

If you really want to use the optical in, then you'd need a preamp or something to put your recording through. Better off just choosing an audio interface that suits your budget I'd say.

Edit: I just read about someone successfully using the Lavry Black Digital Converters to use the optical successfully if that's what you'd rather do.

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Yeah, pretty much external audio interface that you would use for entry-level recording is going to connect via either USB or FireWire, and thus bypass the Mac's audio hardware anyway. On the other hand, if you already own equipment with optical I/O, you might find it useful to have optical jacks on the Mac, but if you're starting completely from scratch, you may as well just pick up an external DAC anyway.

7. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Sorry, I misread your question. Penguissimo is on it though B).

8. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

I don't get why Apple decided to merge the two audio ports (in/out) to one.
    I'm often doing some quick recordings of through the audio in of my 12" Powerbook G4. It saves time (and don't need to set up my audio interface) and I can record and playback what i've recorded instantly (using both in and out ports).

A plus for quality is the optical addition, but still, there's a port missing for me :)